I Forge Iron

Adding Oxygen

Sam Thompson

If you are running enough air so that your fire is oxidizing then blowing more O2 in won't do anything as all the fuel is currently burning that can.

If you switch to only straight O2 the fire should get hot enough to melt/burn up your forge as then it doesn't have all the Nitrogen along that has to be heated up by the burn as well.

When I served my time we used to have an oxy line coming into the blower pipe going to the burner for our biggest furnace. If we need to get a job really hot, we would turn it on, (had a reg on it too). You had to keep an eye on your job as the furnace got that hot it would burn your job, (8"square no probs to burn).
The only thing has has stopped me from doing the same in our workshop is we have no bulk Oxy tank.
It works ok in a furnace as they are a constant rate of fire, a forge would be suitable as you regulate the air with your heats.

Phil

When I served my time we used to have an oxy line coming into the blower pipe going to the burner for our biggest furnace. If we need to get a job really hot, we would turn it on, (had a reg on it too). You had to keep an eye on your job as the furnace got that hot it would burn your job, (8"square no probs to burn).
The only thing has has stopped me from doing the same in our workshop is we have no bulk Oxy tank.
It works ok in a furnace as they are a constant rate of fire, a forge would be suitable as you regulate the air with your heats.

Phil

Stupid me. Left out a not, A forge is not suitable for the addition of O2

I often add oxygen to my forge fire, but only when lighting it. :) I light my torch hit the coal with the flame then turn off the fuel gas and hit the oxygen lever on the torch. Coal forge running in about 2-3 minutes.

Cheater! :D
Don`t you own a weed burner?

• 1 month later...

i light my forge with my propane torch, the ones that use the camp stove propane bottles. of course i burn charcoal in my forge. i clean then fill my forge with charcoal, then start the airflow just slightly, and then put the torch to it. it is going in about 2-3 minutes.