I Forge Iron

forged bird's head?

I've been asked to make a few bits for a falconer friend and rather than the usual rams head he would like a bird of some description. I'm sure creating a bird head will be simple enough, but I'm stuck for ideas on design :(

I've searched around here and on google images, but I'm afraid my google-fu is weak. Has anybody here made or seen a birds head poker for example? I remember at a st Clem's in Devon a few years back somebody made a fantastic woodpecker as part of a door knocker but I can't recall it clearly enough to see the shape of the head

any suggestions as to what it could look like would be appreciated :)

Dave;

In addition to my other post; hawks beaks and heads are both rather easily stylized and look nice for handles. You could also stamp silhouettes on the flats of blades or tool handles. A simple gull silhouette could as easily be a marsh hawk and could be stamped in even by beginners. I think that such a look would go nicely with your lurcher stamp (The White Dog). A hawk head silhouette might be nice too. Or maybe even a piercing rather than a stamped silhouette. Falcon wing profiles (as seen from below) are well known and easily recognized and they would make nice stampings too.

thanks for the ideas guys.

Bigfoot, some of those examples are great (I especially like the tsuba!). Unfortunately, not what I'm looking for. For once this is a blacksmithing commission not a knifemaking one :blink: I'm making a tripod for hanging a pot over a fire with and probably a set of fire irons if the tripod is to his liking. So it would be like a ram's head poker only with a bird instead. Having said that, I like your idea of a bird's head knife handle; I shall have to see if anything takes flight in the forge soon

I think it's time I got the modelling clay out and had a play :rolleyes:

thanks for the ideas guys.

Bigfoot, some of those examples are great (I especially like the tsuba!). Unfortunately, not what I'm looking for. For once this is a blacksmithing commission not a knifemaking one :blink: I'm making a tripod for hanging a pot over a fire with and probably a set of fire irons if the tripod is to his liking. So it would be like a ram's head poker only with a bird instead. Having said that, I like your idea of a bird's head knife handle; I shall have to see if anything takes flight in the forge soon

I think it's time I got the modelling clay out and had a play :rolleyes:

hi Dave I know you don't want to come on the Animal heads courses we run at Westpoint, which is where the bird knocker was demoed (we have another course for this later in the year An animal feature doorknocker, July 31st and August 1st, or we could show you on an iForge weekend) only pic I could find in a suitable format to put on site was this owl, done some time ago on a 12mm square bar

It is also easier to forge larger birds/heads from tube.

meanwhile go over to http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/ and look at 100 Bill Epps Humming bird, and there is also a ducks head on there, that should give you some ideas on where to start.

post-816-12718780706331_thumb.jpg

Dave,it just so happened that i've built a set of 6 hinges this winter,for a falconer fellow.For hus bird's barn,a neat timber-frame.Not sure how proud i'm of a result,but here it is,for what it's worth...
(He was very happy with it,and now wants a latch in 3-D,i'm hoping to do somewhat better maybe this time...)

What a nice barn!! Your hinges are a real elegant touch Jake! I'd love to see the latch when you get it done.

hi Dave I know you don't want to come on the Animal heads courses we run at Westpoint, which is where the bird knocker was demoed (we have another course for this later in the year An animal feature doorknocker, July 31st and August 1st, or we could show you on an iForge weekend) only pic I could find in a suitable format to put on site was this owl, done some time ago on a 12mm square bar

It is also easier to forge larger birds/heads from tube.

meanwhile go over to http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/ and look at 100 Bill Epps Humming bird, and there is also a ducks head on there, that should give you some ideas on where to start.

Thanks for those ideas John, I like the little owl and I had seen the hummingbird before (though completely forgot about it until now!). I'll try to come up with a variation on the hummingbird and if I fail on that one then the owl is a great back up :)

Its not a case of not wanting to come to any of the westpoint courses, it's just a case of not having the weekends available during the summer what with my own courses and the shows :( Having looked at my diary, I can make the Iforge get togethers this year So I shall make sure I get to at least one of those!

Thanks again