I Forge Iron

1886 Fisher Anvil

Two days ago I bought a 1886 Fisher anvil that ways about 60lbs on eBay. I paid $29 for it. (Plus $52 for shipping) Is this the deal of a lifetime, or does this kind of deal occur regularly? I would post pictures, but it hasn't arrived and I can't get back to the ebay page.

Don't know about others but that's the sort of deal I look for; I used to average 1 per year under a dollar a pound when I lived in OH.

Yours works out to $1.35 a pound; not bad at all these days if it's in good condition---a definite bragging anvil!

My best was a mint condition 515# Fisher for $350 or about 68 cents a pound. Not an e-bay find so no shipping cost.

Just bought a 110# Peter Wright in very good condition at $1.33 a pound, (local craigslist so no shipping). First anvil I've bought since I moved out here though I've been given 1 and found 1 a friend got for free. (Also; one of my students found out that his grandmother had 2 anvils buried in the scrap metal on her city lot. His Uncle took the larger one and he got a 138# Peter Wright. A friend in the southern part of the state was given a 750# West anvil recently...)

They are out there if you are willing to hunt for them!

Was it mislabeled on e-bay to go so cheap? The smaller ones often go for more than the behemoths!

It was labeled as "1886 # 6 Fisher Anvil" and it might have had "antique" in there as well. The reason it went for so little is that I'm an eBay shark that bids in the last 8 seconds to prevent other buyers from countering. It's far from mint condition, but I'm sure I'll be able to use it. It sure beats my old 20lb one. What do you reckon it will be made from? Did Fisher make all their anvils out of wrought iron? Cast? Steel?

It was labeled as "1886 # 6 Fisher Anvil" and it might have had "antique" in there as well. The reason it went for so little is that I'm an eBay shark that bids in the last 8 seconds to prevent other buyers from countering. It's far from mint condition, but I'm sure I'll be able to use it. It sure beats my old 20lb one. What do you reckon it will be made from? Did Fisher make all their anvils out of wrought iron? Cast? Steel?

Hey Chris, Don't think 8secs will always work. Have been out bid at the last sec more times than I care to remember.
Hope ya got a good one. Found one at the flea mkt same size for $30. It is nice enough for trade stock.
Ken.