I Forge Iron

Lilly with accents in a vase

I made this lilly with other floral accent in a vase, I have one that is quite similar that Brian Brazeal made so I just took what he had done and made my own rendition. I think it came out pretty nice my girl friend took it right away, "For me?" well yes dear, was my response of course. It measures 12 inches tall
post-10376-12713415583904_thumb.jpgpost-10376-12713416402411_thumb.jpg

But of course you made it for your girlfriend Clinton, planned it well in advance in fact. ;) It's a right fine piece of work you did just for her and I'll bet it wasn't even a special day either, a "just because" gift. Right? Seriously, I'll back you if she asks.

Actually I've found lilies kind of addictive to make. Last spring I made a Calla lily entirely from 1/2" rd with my power hammer and it was really satisfying how well it came out. I included it as my contribution to a club grill project and the grill sold quickly. There seems to be something about forged iron or steel flowers the ladies can't resist, especially if a little scented oil is included.

Really nicely done clinton.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks guys for the input, thanks frosty for backing me up on my story
the lily took me a few attempts at first I have seen them done countless times but could not remember exactly how to get the thing to close up right, after making a pile of mangled, folded in half, grossly misshapen junk I started using the cross pien right in the transition area and got the thing to close up tight then take it to the horn and true it up. I can get them to come out pretty nice now and the final shape can be altered by the length of the taper that you start with, a short taper gives you a shorter rounder flower and a longer taper gives you a slender pointy flower. I have been using round stock 3/8'', 1/2'' and 5/8'' I tried with square stock it works also but the round stock seems easier to work with
Ironstein- thanks haven't seen you posting for a while how is your smithing coming along? And yes Dora loves every thing that I make I gotta start hiding stuff or it will never leave the house

I'm honored to be of help Clinton, anything for a fellow smith. Besides I know how fast Deb will latch onto almost anything I make if I let her see it. Actually making something for her is HUGE brownie points!

Frosty the Lucky.

I had to try this again over the week end the first one seemed a little on the tall side so I scaled this one down a little this one measures 9 inches tall. I plan on doing some more of these and I will forge each part and then do the assembly this thing takes some time from start to finish because of all the different parts I think doing a production run may speed up the process and when you forge the same item several times the quality will improve as well
post-10376-12716842154839_thumb.jpg