I Forge Iron

Firescreen for daughters room

IanR

These are firescreen doors that I'm working on for my youngest daughters bedroom.They feature Eucalyptus leaves and gumnuts and at daughter's request, a bug. I still have to forge hinges and a latch and attach mesh

post-5570-12704185988598_thumb.jpg

post-5570-12704186363395_thumb.jpg

Nicely done Ian!
Elegant, clean and well executed - The bug is great touch of whimsy.

Your daughter has her own fireplace? I can't let my GF's daughter see this - they're moving in with me soon and about a week ago she asked " Can I have my own wood stove in my room?" If she sees your post, I'm done for!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

great looking project. how are you planning to attach your screen.
kyle

Because I didn't want to make it look to masculine, the frame is 10mm square rod and I'm going to sandwich it between the frame and some 10mm x 2mm flat using rivets countersunk on the back

Nicely done Ian!
Elegant, clean and well executed - The bug is great touch of whimsy.

Your daughter has her own fireplace? I can't let my GF's daughter see this - they're moving in with me soon and about a week ago she asked " Can I have my own wood stove in my room?" If she sees your post, I'm done for!

It's a 1930s house and I think her bedroom was a living room originally. Yes she a lucky girl, I've also just finished making her a timber stand for a large triangular fish tank we bought for her on Ebay for $50 -bargain- the timber, paneling and screws for the stand, $175 -not so much a bargain. :rolleyes:

thats beautiful ian i bet she loves it! def will look out for finished shots - i really like it:) how did you make the ball bits on the leaves? sorry forgot the name you used!

They're called gumnuts Beth, they're the seed pods on eucalyptus trees. I cheated or compromised depending on how you look at it,I used 20mm steel balls, then made rings from 4mm rod which I welded onto the ball and then filed the weld with a rat tail file to a smooth groove. ;)

Cheers Ian

post-5570-12708010260538_thumb.jpg

post-5570-12708011005612_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments guys. Edge I didn't give much thought to the ball cracking I just assumed because the ball was large enough and the claws fairly fine there wouldn't be a problem. The caws were cupped first, then half their length heated before putting the ball in and positioning the claws with a pair of circlip pliers modified to make a small pair of scrolling pliers.

Cheers

Ian