I Forge Iron

Day at the forge yesterday

Got a good 5 hours of forging yesterday, the results shown. Still can't make a forgeweld work for the life of me. Brake drum is too shallow, that's my story. Corkscrew came out better than I expected, probably a little thick in the spiral. The rose from a template was a nice break from drawing and squaring, the restful hour spent bending rose petals allowed a nice arm recovery for punching and stretching the bottle opener.

post-182-12701419982704_thumb.jpg

Find a strip of ungalvanized sheetmetal and bend it into an incomplete circle that fits just inside the wall of your break drum and stands up over it so you can build your fire much deeper. Incomplete circle so you have a gap to put metal in and out through. A grace note is to cut a "mousehole" opposite the gap so you can work long pieces.

I used one set up this way as my primary billet welder for several years.

Forge welding, AARRGGHH! Actually, I should knock on wood. I have had a few successes lately even on some light pieces. Clean fire, just the right amount of air, patience, careful observation so there is no burn, the correct application of the hammer, Ahhhh! Get it hot enough but not quite sparkling.

lol.....i have good days ....and bad days..its all about how you hold your tongue....till you've done a heap. before i had oxy, i scrapped a whole gate once over two collars, even ran over it, and then paid someone else to do it.......lol

like these Thomas Powers, lovem!

post-4920-12701571679447_thumb.jpg

post-4920-12701572272642_thumb.jpg

I LIKE that pipe section with the cutout to create a deeper welding fire! (that's what its for, right?).

Have to try that one out. May even have a section of pipe to use, if not, its off to the scrap yard for some more rusty junk!