I Forge Iron

Trexton anvil date?

A new student scored two anvils last weekend... The bigger one is a 100 lb 'Trexton', stamped inside a diamond, farrier pattern. Had a brain numbing ring till we bolted it down to a stump with some belting in between, it's workable now. The serial # is 224976. Good rebound, really crisp edges. She's pumped up about starting forging, I told her I would ask you folks about the date of manufacture. I think I heard somewhere that Trexton was made by Trenton, is that true? Also, when did Trenton stop making anvils?
Thanks, Mike

224976 would be made between March 1952 and June 1953 (this is when Columbus Forge and Iron company stopped making anvils). The anvil is a Trenton. It's believed that the 'N' in the Trenton stamp may have washed out so they stamp maker put an 'X' in the stamp by mistake (page 359 from anvils in America).

Edit-Dragons Lair beat me to it...

I have a Trenton anvil. The diamond is an easily recognized logo. They tend to be very good quality anvils. When I bought mine at a BAM conference one of the kind fellows who RAN over to help us load it said that he had 5 of them in his shop and that I'd be very pleased with mine... which I AM! Mine had been ground flat on the face and remains pretty much pristine despite much use (though my brother-in-law, a raw beginner, has left a few small tracks from poorly aimed hits... I have a secondary anvil that I confine my beginner's lessons to now).

Thank you all for the information! It's hard for me to imagine 1952, it seems like most of the name brand anvils i've seen are 1890-1920. Can I assume the base was still wrought iron this far along in the century? The base is arc welded together at the waist, it looks to be a 2-pc construction from the factory.