I Forge Iron

forged Key

Very nice. I especially like the proportions and surface finish. Could you tell us about that? Also; how big is it?
-and finally, can i have one?

regs
AndrewOC

Its about 4" long forged from 3/8 x1" flat stock, brushed with a brass brush,coated with polyurathane

How did you get the scrolls on it/in it? Did you weld them on or cut and work the whole thing from a single piece of 3/8"x1" bar?

Looks great by the way!

Thank you, the interior scrolls are notched in and joined together by using a tip cleaner drill set for microscopic holes
and pinned. The after thought, outer scrolls were cheated in by mig and dremel , that was because the person who made the template neglected to mark the spot the key needed to stop at in order to function

Very nice project that was really well done.I`m sure the customer was more than pleased.
Quite a departure from your forged steel faces both in scale and execution.

One question,if you were going to use a brass finish is there any particular reason why you chose to mig the scrolls rather than braze?

Very nice project that was really well done.I`m sure the customer was more than pleased.
Quite a departure from your forged steel faces both in scale and execution.

One question,if you were going to use a brass finish is there any particular reason why you chose to mig the scrolls rather than braze?

the brass finish was an after thought, this was the way I was going to give it originally

post-12486-12684978409587_thumb.jpg

I like the brass.
Is the actual key section a piece from the original key or did you weld a flat plate on to the tube and hand file it to match the original?

the whole key was forged and the teeth were filed little by little until it worked, of course I opened the lock to observe the wards. Not the first key I've made, one was a 1765 bedroom dresser , and a key for an antique gate from the early 1800s plus a couple of others, a fun but sometimes tedious job. this last one broke off when I was trying to do fancy file work and had to scrap it, I may make it work to use as a spare if they lose it or someone likes it to much ( if you know what I mean)