I Forge Iron

One nice thing about Eastern,kentucky(pic)

Wish I could post a picture of what's nice here---wearing a short sleeve shirt and feeling warm out in the sun today, temps in the 60's and I haven't shoveled snow in 5+ years!---or worn mosquito repellent for that matter.

I do envy you the coal however!

Wish I could post a picture of what's nice here---wearing a short sleeve shirt and feeling warm out in the sun today, temps in the 60's and I haven't shoveled snow in 5+ years!---or worn mosquito repellent for that matter.

I do envy you the coal however!

I cant say much about our weather. Had the worst winter in a long time around here. Colder than a well diggers butt and snow about every week it seems. Big heavy wet snows that knock the power out for days :angry:

3/4 of a ton of coal for $70. Clean, high grade stoker coal.. :)

The way I learned coal is that 'stoker' refers to the *size* of the coal since it was going to be fed to a furnace via a *stoker*.

I guess that doesn't mean it can't be good blacksmith coal tho. Some of the best coal I ever forged with was all fines. Burned white hot and coked up quick with very little clinker.

Bob

The way I learned coal is that 'stoker' refers to the *size* of the coal since it was going to be fed to a furnace via a *stoker*.

I guess that doesn't mean it can't be good blacksmith coal tho. Some of the best coal I ever forged with was all fines. Burned white hot and coked up quick with very little clinker.

Bob

Stoker coal does refer to the size. There are two sizes of stoker coal. "Stoker" and "baby stoker"..Stoker is about 1 1/4" in size while baby stoker is about 1/2" in size. Either one cokes up wonderfully. We do have some of the best coal to be had besides. I did know the specs on some of the plants coal but have forgot it. I think the last batch I got was Elkhorn #1 but i could be wrong.

lol pretty cheap! for good smithing coal i have to pay 700$ a ton, or spend several days hunting for abandoned mines(open pit) for scraps (danger dont try at home)and most of the time the ones we have around here wher anthracite mines but it still got the job done when thats all i had.

Here in the Hunter Valley of NSW Australia it costs us more for a ton of top soil than it does for a ton of coal.
We will even use coal fines to repair pot holes in the tracks around our workshop, does'nt work real well as it powders up pretty quick, but its cheap.

Phil

Well KYBOY, I'm in southern Maine and it was in the 60s today. We haven't had measurable snowfall in over a month and the ground in this part of the state has been essentially snow free for most of that time. People are doing their spring yard work 2 months early(except me, I was in the forge). You have me beat on the coal deal though.

Well KYBOY, I'm in southern Maine and it was in the 60s today. We haven't had measurable snowfall in over a month and the ground in this part of the state has been essentially snow free for most of that time. People are doing their spring yard work 2 months early(except me, I was in the forge). You have me beat on the coal deal though.

Maybe if we forward this post to Ring's he will drop the prices some? Amen for our easy winter in Maine...