I Forge Iron

Things I learned this week about blacksmithing

Yes, Frosty that's exactly right. Its a cement board. Hardy is a name brand. There is also Durarock. Used mostly for tile work and in bathrooms to prevent mold. On a floor Hardy board is used with thinset under it then screwed to the wooden underlayment to stiffen the floor so the grout won't crack when you lay tile. It, also being a cement product, is kinda on the fire resistant side of things. And get used that way too. Although its not its main function. Well I used it today and it worked very very well. The wood wasn't even warm. I made a hold fast and a big staple to hang some tongs off of the stump with. Dang it forgot to take pictures. As for what I learned. A hold fast is very easy to make.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone in colder climes may want to try this. Some may think I am crazy, well there's a little of that too.
I wrapped my anvil with a battery blanket. it's a great little unit that I have wrapped around the base and it plugs into household power.
Now I guess I should add the disclaimer, Using something for which it was not designed is crazy etc etc. All I know is it works and haven't had any problems. Enjoy.

I learned that even though the borg(either Slowes or Home Despot)is closer when you need cutting discs for the angle grinder it is far cheaper(in time,money and aggravation)to just drive PAST the borg and get REAL cutting discs from the welding supply place.

Those Dewalt discs are better suited for shooting skeet than cutting.They react the same way as a hit clay pigeon when you put them to the metal.Two of them just had the center break out and did their impression of a high speed metal cutting frizbee.Glad I was using safety glasses,the weld shield and leathers too :angry:

Finally took an air hammer and chisel to peel the welds on the brackets I needed gone.Louder,tougher on the hands but easier in the long run.

I learned that even though the borg(either Slowes or Home Despot)is closer when you need cutting discs for the angle grinder it is far cheaper(in time,money and aggravation)to just drive PAST the borg and get REAL cutting discs from the welding supply place.

Those Dewalt discs are better suited for shooting skeet than cutting.They react the same way as a hit clay pigeon when you put them to the metal.Two of them just had the center break out and did their impression of a high speed metal cutting frizbee.Glad I was using safety glasses,the weld shield and leathers too :angry:

Finally took an air hammer and chisel to peel the welds on the brackets I needed gone.Louder,tougher on the hands but easier in the long run.

WOW, I have been considering the dewalt disks to be pretty good...especially compared to HF disks.
Phil

From another thread there is information on the labeling of disks that is rather standardized. If the disk is labled in that manner (Dewalt disks are) I have been using that as a minimum to get a decent product. If they are not labled (such as HF disks) I have been avoiding purchase. If I am given, or find leftovers from when I did purchase said extra cheap disks, I use them, being careful to not crush them by over-tightening.

Phil

Well to say the least it has been an interesting week if not anything. I don't even want to go there what I learned. One thing for sure there is a lot of inflated egos. If anything I'll keep my pie hole shut and use it for what it was intended. Eat-in humble pie.

Thanks again Phil.
I suspect that Dewalt has another outfit making the discs to their spec and then putting their name on them.Probably offshore folks doing the making as the last diamond saw blade I saw from them was made in Korea.
I was cutting stainless welds and it was a race as to what disappeared faster the disc or the weld.
I usually go with names like Norton,Pferd,Walter.etc and have not had them break at the hub like the Dewalts did.
Maybe I just caught a bad batch,who knows.From now on I`ll go with what I know and eat less dust and fragments.
When my wife came home hours later the first thing she asked was "What were you grinding?".
She could smell the dust in my hair even though I wore a hat and dusted off with an air gun .