I Forge Iron

forge questions, how to?

Thurstan

Hi, every1 this is my first post and i am new to blacksmithing. Now i got myself a anvil and some hammers + thongs, but i can't find a good fire. So i decided to build 1 myself.
I havent been able to get my hands on a brake drum, but i have been able to get 50kg of fire mortar that can hold temp's till 1100° c .
So my question is, does any1 here on the forum have a good id on how to use this fire mortar to make me a good forge? I want to start practice on some knifes and afterwards some art.
Got alot of old files and springsteel to practice on.

Ive made me a card with wheels, i was thinking about maybe putting on a iron box on top of that with a 20 cm high border and try to make the fire pot out of the fire mortar.
What do you guys think about that and will the fire mortar hold up for it?

greetings from belgium

I agree i wanna see the thongs...lol ....i have a hard enough time making tongs, i could see me making a thong....ha
but as to you question...if you search around the site you will find tons of pics of different configurations of all kinds of forges some are simple some are not...some guys have made them outta bar b que grills...some guys use a dirt pit...55 gal drums make nice ones...as far as the mortor goes I think it will not be durable enough...if you would get a couple of bricks you may be able to fashion something to get you a good fire...remember with a little air you can run 18-2200 degrees F plus, so I am not sure 1100c degree stuff (2050 degrees) will hold up since you are at your limit...where there is a will there is a way..

lol ok, srry that my english isn't all that well...

At the moment the only thing i can get a hold of is the fire mortor, If i try to use it for the forge, do you think it will explode or simply crack when it gets to warm?
problem with the bricks over here is that they are made for bbq's and arent all that good. I just want to get started with forging, even if the mortar only holds for a couple of months.

Glen posted let's see your forge under the solid fuel forge forum there should be some good pictures of home forges...my firepot is made out of 3/8" plate steel and lined on the bottom only with refactory cement. Good luck!!!

P.S. If you don't find anything there look under show me your shop in the general blacksmithing forum.

Well I have alot of wood stored atm (poplar and birch). So I am thinking about making my own charcoal and use that for fuel.

Why the question?

Thomas is probably looking at getting the depth in your fire you need. With coal its easy as it will not burn too fast around the "edge" of the fire, a bit of water and its contained. With charcoal, however, you need a deep fire but just staking the charcoal around the fire to build its depth will result in all your charcoal burning, it just burns and you can't really stop it. So I would say that is a nice setup for coal but not for charcoal. For charcoal you need deep sides to allow you to put in the minimum fuel to get your fire depth without burning excess fuel.

Cheers

Thomas is probably looking at getting the depth in your fire you need. With coal its easy as it will not burn too fast around the "edge" of the fire, a bit of water and its contained. With charcoal, however, you need a deep fire but just staking the charcoal around the fire to build its depth will result in all your charcoal burning, it just burns and you can't really stop it. So I would say that is a nice setup for coal but not for charcoal. For charcoal you need deep sides to allow you to put in the minimum fuel to get your fire depth without burning excess fuel.

Cheers

Mention has been made time and again of using brick stood alongside the fire pot to help make the fire deeper as a way to use a forge designed for coal or coke with wood charcoal. I think this is called a "duck nest" by some people, but could be wrong.
Phil

ah, i was gonna ask what was the best fuel. I tried the forge yesterday with charcoal and it burns up rather fast. But i do have a large stockpile ( about 3 cubical ) of coal. it used to be from my grandparents. So i think i will try to use that for fuel. Thanks for the advice :)

Charcoal is a fuel where you DON'T want an electric blower, it takes a lot less air than coal and doesn't tend to go out on it's own.

So a hand crank or bellows is a good way to go.

If you have to use an electric blower, put a foot switch on it so it only runs when you are pressing on the switch, and be sure you can cut down on the air being delivered to the tuyere as well. It will save you a lot of fuel and steel!

For 4 or 5 years I've been using a firepot I made from 3/8" plain steel plate without brick or refractory. It show no sign of deterioration in any way. If I ever burn it out, I will fabricate another. I got the idea from Randy McDaniel's book.