I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths in Europe

My wife and I are going to Italy, (Venice, Rome, and Tuscany), Munich, Germany and Paris, France in September. Does anyone know of blacksmith shops I might visit when I'm at these cities? I would love to visit some shop while I'm there along with seeing some of the blacksmith history of Europe. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this subject, but any help would be appreciated.

Dave

My wife and I are going to Italy, (Venice, Rome, and Tuscany), Munich, Germany and Paris, France in September. Does anyone know of blacksmith shops I might visit when I'm at these cities? I would love to visit some shop while I'm there along with seeing some of the blacksmith history of Europe. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this subject, but any help would be appreciated.

Dave

If you were going to England, I'd give you the name and address of the fellow who taught me. Great guy and always happy to see someone who's interested in the craft.
All I can suggest is that you ask the locals. Many of them know the craftsmen or know of them. I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.
Have a great trip!

If you are in Venice, walk through the narrow paths on the way to the vapparetto stop going to Murano island. On the way there is a small blacksmiths shop. I walked right past it on the way to the vapparetto, on the way back chomping on a gelato, I stopped in to say Hi and see what was going on. I did not speak Italian but I did find Spanish worked almost as well. They were building a series of grates and grillework. I've been to Venice twice and would highly recommend the vendors on the sidewalks. I had the most wonderful peach I've ever eaten. It was so unbelievably juicy and tasty. I know I know it was just a peach. Give it a try and dont forget to eat all the gelato you can stand. The first trip I just got one, the second trip my record was six in one day. Enjoy your trip and if you get to go through the mountains visit Aosta they love Americans and dont get to see them very much.