I Forge Iron

Need help about my gas forge. Thanks

EZDUZIT

I am new to blacksmithing just to let you all know.

I had my single burner Diamondbackiron forge on and the gas set on 13psi.
I put a RR spike in and look away for a few minute , next thing i know it was melting the RR spike.

I can't get the melted metal off the dense refractory brick floor in my forge.
Shoud i replace the refractory brick floor of the forge or is it ok to use still with the melted metal in it?

Thanks
EZDUZIT

"yes"

Yes you will eventually replace that brick, it will not last as long as a brick that did not have this happen. That brick still has a useful service life though.

Yes you can clean the brick some, heat the forge up as hot as you had it, then use a bent piece of stock and scrape gently. Some of the brick will come with, so be careful and use just enough pressure. There will likely be a groove in the brick when you are done.

Yes you can use the forge the way it is, and just be careful and aware of the contamination. It will eventually oxidize and wear away if you do nothing to it. This may contaminate other projects, but likely will not matter as removing the scale on the other projects will remove the contamination.

My opinion, others may say different. Nice forge that can melt a spike in a few minutes.

Phil

I have the a two-burner from Diamondback and the floor uses the same brick as that in a wood burning stove. The bricks are only $2-$3 and can be found at any specialty fireplace shop or maybe even home depot. If you can't find one right away, you could always flip the brick over as a temporary solution. I really like my forge, but I haven't come close to melting anything... even running at higher PSI. Wondering if your gauge is working properly... or better yet, wondering if mine is...lol!

Thanks Paul42

I will try to find some new brick.
I didn't know if the brick is the same as fireplace brick or if it was something else.Diamondbackiron calls it (Dense Refractory Bricks).Is that just a fancy name for fireplace brick. I talk to my local brick yard and they do not know what a Refractory brick is, all they can tell me is (we have fire place brick 2 size a thick one and a thin one.LOL

I too love my forges.I have the 1 Burner Knifemaker,2 Burner Metalsmith and the 3 Burner Metalsmith. They all came with a little cooker gauge. So after i asked some of the guys here on I Forge Iron i replace all of my gauge to an all gas (Acetylene/Propane) regulators with a larger (T greade) hose. So each forge has a 100lb propane tank then new regulator 15' of T grade hose to the idle valve then 5' to the valve on the forge. All i know now is if i set the PSI. to the same setting as my old cooker gauge it gets hotter. Like i said before with the 1 burner 13 psi. close one end with bricks and just have one end open, I start to melt rail spike in a few minutes. My 2 and 3 burner if i set the old cooker gauge at 11 psi. the rail spikes will get orange glow now with the new all gas (Acetylene/Propane) regulators with larger T grade hose set at 11 psi. the rail spikes gets yellow glow.

Thanks
EZDUZIT

Here's what is written in the instructions I received with my Diamondback forge....

"It's a good idea to keep some extra firebrick on hand, for closing off one end of the forge, or replacing floor bricks when needed. These are common and very inexpensive 4"x2-1/2"x9" available anywhere building supplies are sold (usually under $2 usd each)."

• 4 weeks later...

The Floor of the Forge is 3200 degree Dense Refractory, the wood stove bricks are NOT even close to the same material. The firebrick I recommend for putting between your forge and table is the common firebrick available at building supply warehouses. The brick for the Forge interior is a completely different animal though. The brick for the floor is available from us or from a Refractory supply house.

The Floor of the Forge is 3200 degree Dense Refractory, the wood stove bricks are NOT even close to the same material. The firebrick I recommend for putting between your forge and table is the common firebrick available at building supply warehouses. The brick for the Forge interior is a completely different animal though. The brick for the floor is available from us or from a Refractory supply house.

Do you offer just the brick forge floor as a separate item? If you choose to list separately, could you include dimensions for people with home made forges?
Phil