I Forge Iron

Steel for Tomahawks?

So I have been out from injury to my hammer arm, but seem to be getting better. So I was wanting to have a go at a pierced eye hawk. I am putting in a large order for my machine shop for various metals and was thinking about getting some steel for making a hawk. What would be good for this purpose that would be easy for forge but hold a nice edge. I would prefer not to have to forge weld in a bit if I could get away with it.

Thanks
Greebe

1060 or 1084 would be good ... personally the easyest way is to make one out of mild steel with a welded bit ... only reason mot to is if your going to split and drift the eye instead of wrap and weld .. if your going to forge weld anyway mind as well insert a bit... good luck!

I was hoping to find some 1" SQUARE STOCK and pierce and drift the eye. Then hammer out the blade profile. I was thinking of chucking it in a 4 Jaw chuck in the lathe first and turning a pipe bowl.

My supplier didn't have any of 1040,45,60, so that is part of the reason I was hoping to find something else. Anyways I just placed the order for now. Had a large quantity of 4140 bar stock on that order for our flash hiders. I know how it work hardens so didn't want to mess with it.

Where would I find 1045 square stock?

Thanks
Greebe

For a pierced hawk you will be surprised just how short a piece you need to use. I would expect to get atleast 3 hawks out of a 1' piece, and would probably try to do it with just 3" of stock intially, unless I was going to do a back spike or hammerpoled. You don't want to start with too much, especially if you're just getting your hammer hand back in shape, believe me;-) I did a few hawks like this for Christmas presents, and ended up cuting off part of the bit cause I had to much stock..;-) I used some disc axil, almost always medium/high carbon, a bear to forge, but oil quenches nice, and it generally is ~1 1/8" square with slightly rounded corners, lots of volume;-)

Christian
Husband
Father
Blacksmith
Farrier
Farmer
And the rest really does get in the way... ;-)