I Forge Iron

Alaska club looking for a Clinician!

The Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths is looking for a clinician to hold a clinic or more in July. I'll post the correct date when I get it, I forgot to write it down at our last meeting.

We're a pretty young club with a healthy percentage of newcomers to the craft. The general consensus of the membership is to learn about making animal heads and or tools. There are a number of us who can teach the basics so that need not be a focus.

There is a good chance we'll go in on the expenses with the local Farrier's organization so knowing something about shoeing horses would be a plus though not necessary.

We're located in south central Alaska, mostly in Anchorage and the Mat-su valley just north of Anch. We have members up to about 300 miles out though and would love a draw that'd bring everybody in.

If you're interested please shoot me an E-mail with what you charge, time frame, etc. Being the frugal souls we are we have several members offering room and board for the stay, heck if you like critters Deb and I live on a Pygmy goat farm with friendly critters galore. Heck, if a visit to the Greatland isn't enough maybe a fishing trip might help.

Again, any questions or details to work out should be directed to me and I'll poll the membership. We're a darned democratic organization and vote on anything club related.

Thanks for your consideration.

Frosty the Lucky.
-------------------------
If it ain't forged
It ain't real
wrought iron is
The Frostworks

I suspect Mark will say the same as me, if you want the absolute best "head" blacksmith, then you want Darryl Nelson. He's also close to you being right here in Washington. I'll talk to him if you want. Let me know.

You're sure right about Darryl Nelson being top of the head makers Grant. One of our guys has studied with or under him and says Darryl has visited AK a time or two. He also says Darryl's fee is probably way out of our range as of now. our budget is $1,000 for the whole deal. I'm not saying no of course, there's plenty of interest but we're going to have to see how many guys say they'll attend, see if the Farriers are interested in splitting the costs, what we're going to need to charge, etc. Heck, I just found out what the Farriers want. (cut and paste from the club E-mail list) "What the farriers are looking for this year is an American Farrier Association certification examiner and tester."

This is a whole knew experience for me, I've never tried organizing something like this so I'm kind of feeling my way. Does Darryl have an E-mail adress? I'd like to contact him directly if only to find out we can't afford him yet. Who knows though, maybe he likes fishing. My fingers are really crossed for getting this thing right.

Thanks Grant, the more help the better, I'll let you know what the gang says.

Frosty the Lucky

Frosty

I would consider coming but I am not an examiner. I am however a Certified Journeyman Farrier since 1985. I operate a full time farrier and blacksmith shop in GA. Airfare is all that would be required for my expenses considering you can put us up somewhere. I can send more information and photos of heads to help in the decision process. My wife will be coming also.
Eddie

Shall I toot my own horn? Beginning in 1970, I've presented 120 workshops, 98% of them out-of-state; two in Canada; one in Australia; one in Costa Rica. I'm not the best on animal heads, but if you want tools, architectural hardware, farriery, branding irons, etc., I'm available.

I'm an old timer but not dried up yet.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Hey Frosty,
Better watch out or we'll all be fighting to come and demo. Let's see, trip to AK,go fishing,hang out in the Mat-Su area. What could be better? I have relatives up there so it'd be nice to come up again. Only problem is this summer is booked out. xxxx. I'd love to do it if I had the time. Maybe next year.
Take care,
Mark Emig

Hey Frosty,
Better watch out or we'll all be fighting to come and demo. Let's see, trip to AK,go fishing,hang out in the Mat-Su area. What could be better? I have relatives up there so it'd be nice to come up again. Only problem is this summer is booked out. xxxx. I'd love to do it if I had the time. Maybe next year.
Take care,
Mark Emig

Here's a tidbit for next summer Mark, the end of June is when the Valley Arts Council holds it's Art on Fire event. Our club demos, there're glass blowers, raku pottery demos and the highlight is the . . . IRON POUR! Unless they change it'll be the weekend before the 4th of July.

Art on Fire is happening this June just in case your time frees up. maybe your relatives will drop by for a flamingly good time.

Frosty the Lucky