I Forge Iron

New anvils

It depends on what you want and your budget!

I have 5 main anvils but find that I use two of them more than the others- more to with where they are in the shop rather than how good they are- they are all top class anvils!

One is a 280 pound Vaughans (note the spelling) from UK. Very good, very expensive. See www.anvils.co.uk for details. Vaughans do a whole range of single and double bick anvils in sizes upto 560 pounds.

Another is the Rhino anvil from Steve at www.incandescent-iron.com That is made in China but do not be put off by that! It is an alloy steel anvil and is well designed. Plenty of anvils, and other tools, are made here including some famous "American" brands! The Rhino would be kinder on your pocket. They are in 3 different sizes, roughly a 140, 240 and 340 pounds although that is not exact- you need to see their website to get exact dimensions. I have 1 of each.

On the subject of recently designed anvils don't overlook the Hofi. I have spoken to people who have used them and have found them to be very good. I think there is only 1 size at about 280 pounds but that is absolutely ideal for almost anything you are ever likely to want to do. It has a shelf and I believe that the feet double as upsetting blocks. That means that weight isn't wasted in a separate upsetting block as on some anvils. Also they have a number of pritchel holes.