I Forge Iron

knife stamp

lanchie76

hey guys

not sure if anyone can help me but i was given an old knife that was my great grand fathers today and after a quick light sand to get the rust off up popped this stamp in the blade. was just wondering if anyone has seen it before or know of anywhere i can research it. we dont know how old the blade is.

post-5671-12645003858889_thumb.jpg

thanks for reading

Ben

post-5671-12645007699581_thumb.jpg

i disremember but maybe wilkinson? hope ya find out,jimmy

thanks Jimmy

i still haven't found a Wilkinson mark that looks like it but i'll keep trying.

the plan was that i was going to reshape the knife before i found the mark does anyone think that it might be worth anything or at lease historically worth anything not to reshape?

thanks Ben

• 3 months later...

it looks like what is refered to as a butcher knife and they were fairly common but this could be quite old .. the mark makes me think of a british maker ..age is tough to say as this style blade was made from 1820s -1950s+ the fact that the rivets are hand piened is good but they could have been replaced ..i dont think i would regrind it as it might be worth sumthin.. good luck!btw 20 years ago you could find knives like that all over the place nowadays theyre hard to find and price has gone up..

I agree with the dablacksmith. The blade looks like a nice older piece. It is definitely English in origin by the two lions. There was a lot of imports in the 19th century from the Sheffield area. If you want to find the trademark, I would start by trying to see if there was something online about English manufacturers.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

It may be worth sending a pic and email to this link

http://www.cutlers-hallamshire.org.uk/html/heritage/historical-resources/

They are the Master Cutlers Guild in Sheffield and they offer a free service with regard to their records

thanks for your replies guys

thanks John for the link Joan from it was very helpful although we still have no answer. its not sheffield she said for sure. She also said it might be from India or Australia (im in Australia and so was my great grandfather)

i've been thinking about it, could it have been a bandsaw blade with the stamp that he's made into a knife? its weird that there is only one stamp midway down the blade

some food for thought
Ben