I Forge Iron

Forging the Anchor

Hello all,

Are there any Blacksmiths out there who know about the processes involved in forging traditional 'fishermen' anchors?
I am studying for a PhD in Art History, and am focusing on a specific painter who produced at least three paintings of men at work in forges during the nineteenth century.
One of these paintings shows a group of Blacksmiths forging at the the anvil, a large anchor which glows white hot, and is the brightest part of the painting.
In my research, I have not yet come across any text that talks about the forging of traditional anchors (or anchors in general really), the techniques employed, or what it might have meant to local/village Blacksmiths to make such a large and heavy item.

Can anyone help, or perhaps direct me to somewhere which might yield more information?

Many thank yous.

Bruce Wilcox is the man to ask on this, he led a team of 'smiths forging an anchor and a DVD was made at the time, there are some vids on the web somewhere.

I believe copie of the DVD are available through BABA and the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths who sponsored (I think) the exercise.

Roo - what date do you think is portrayed in the paintings of interest? And how literally are they to be taken? Various kinds of power assists (water hammers, etc.) have been used for quite a long time.

to make a anchor ,you need a good gang, a good fire ,and dont take your shirt of ,thats it . I dont know what you want to know ,but if i can help , ask away.Bruce

John B, Gerald Boggs, Thomas Powers, Mark Emig, Bruce Wilcock, Bryan Willman, Rob Browne, Gadetoz, Francis Cole - Thank you all for your posts and helpful suggestions (I will acknowledge you in my thesis on completion in three years). I can see this forum is going to be very useful in the future, and I will definitely get a copy of that DVD!

To answer Bryan's question a little, the artist I am exploring is Stanhope Forbes, a painter from Newlyn in Cornwall, who produced oil paintings of local people engaged in work - fishing, smithing, farriery, farming etc.
There are three paintings that I am looking at , one of which is called Forging the Anchor, and was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1892. It shows 4 workman forging a 'fisherman' anchor (I believe), two with sledges, two holding the anchor in place on the anvil. Ipswich Museum currently have the painting but have no image archive at present. Once this is up and running, which they are doing at the moment but could take months, I will post a link on this forum to show you the painting. the painting shows a very active scene, with sledges held high, and workmen in positions showing strain and effort. The brightest part of the painting is the hot white arm of the anchor, where the strikers are forging.

I am trying to upload the image I have but it isn't working.

If I have any more questions, I'll be sure to post, You've all been really helpful - Thank you.

Roo

• 2 weeks later...

So, Roo, have you thought of trying to get a crew together to replicate that scene, purely as research of course! A picture of the crew in the same moment *with* someone portraying the artist in the background would make a nice frontispiece for your thesis...

It is a very tempting idea to get a team of people together to replicate the picture, but it might be impossible! I can imagine it would be a lot of fun. I'd need to get hold of a lot of willing blacksmiths/anchorsmiths and Victorian clothing from somewhere...
Good idea though.

It is a very tempting idea to get a team of people together to replicate the picture, but it might be impossible! I can imagine it would be a lot of fun. I'd need to get hold of a lot of willing blacksmiths/anchorsmiths and Victorian clothing from somewhere...
Good idea though.

Victorian clothing can be had from the Wild West Emporium and other such places online. I doubt that WWE will float it across the pond for you, but just GOOGLE victorian clothing and you'll find lots of places that cater to hysterica...oops, historical re-enactors.
wink.gif
I have clothes from that era. I also have an outfit just like the one Zapata is wearing in my avatar photo. I'd swim over in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you archiphile - this is indeed the painting I am working with. Currently sitting in Ipswich Museums and Galleries if anyone wanted to view it in person.

Thanks also to the suggestion about contacting Ian at Stepney farm - I will get on it.

• 3 months later...
post-10376-059647400 1275019097_thumb.jppost-10376-016635200 1275019092_thumb.jppost-10376-005195200 1275019086_thumb.jppost-10376-020897100 1275019080_thumb.jp
I have been watching a real cool anchor that is right around the corner from me for some time now, I asked the guy if he would sell it to me and he declined. I did get a good story out of the old timer, he found this anchor at the bottom of the Monterey Bay near Pacific Grove and he said they used this type of anchor to hold barges back in the sardine era when there were lots of canaries here. He was a scuba diver in the 1960's and found this anchor when diving, he used 55 gallon drums to bring it up, by floating them down then filling them with air (brilliant). This thing is at least 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide it is huge