I Forge Iron

More than $2/lb for peter wright?

You might try to talk him down to $250 if it makes you feel better, but I have a feeling that one won't last long at that price.

I've seen a lot worse go for a lot more.

$2.43/lb ain't bad for a good PW.

Make sure there are no hidden flaw in and around the face, but it looks good from the pics.

Don

Looks OK from what you can see in the pictures. How does the price compare to a new anvil, not a cheap ASO but a real anvil of similar quality to a Peter Wright? If you consider that new anvils are in the $5 to $7 a pound range then the $2.40 something a pound doesn't look too bad and I don't think you will wear that Peter Wright out in your life time and when you get to old to use it you will be able to get you money out of it.

You are not likely to find a much better deal than that around here, except for the 250 pound no name forged anvil in mint condition that was at a yard sale up the street from my house that sold for $150 and I missed it by 10 minutes. As a consolation prize, the owner sold me a large set of power hammer tongs for ten bucks.

It looks pretty clean from the photo. My first anvil was a 146 lb Peter Wright in about the same condition. I paid $325 for it. I could have waited for a better deal, but I couldn't wait to get started smithing. If you can get it for $250, great! If you can afford to pay $300 for it, a couple years down the road it won't really matter...

Am I better off biding my time and looking for a better deal?

Depends how big a hurry you're in. It's not a steal but not the worst deal I've seen. Looks okay from the pics.

You don't always have to get the very best price. Down the road a few years it won't matter.

Have fun.

Bob

Depends how big a hurry you're in. It's not a steal but not the worst deal I've seen. Looks okay from the pics.

You don't always have to get the very best price. Down the road a few years it won't matter.

Have fun.

Bob

I'm with Bob on this one, the price was about right. The pic is no longer there but I got a 93 lb PW for about the same price per pound. Bob's right, a few years down the road it won't matter what you paid as anvils are getting to be tougher to find as time goes on, especially those in good condition. You can't wait for PW's to go on sale at WalMart to save a few bucks, get the point? You find them where you find them so if you've been looking for awhile then you know how the "wait for another one" thing is like, could be next week or two years from now. I've seen rediculously high prices on anvils in antique shops, one you might think should go for say, $150 will be marked up to twice that or more and I think that's a shame because it could be being used instead of collecting dust in some yuppie trinket shop because the proprietor just wants to scalp somebody for as much as possible.
So if you've gone down antique shop lane you know that's not the place to look and it really isn't all that easy to find someone with an anvil in good shape that they are willing to sell at a fair price. Nevermind the guys that harp how easy it is to find a decent anvil and how cheap they get them, it's bunk. You got a good deal and more importantly, HEY, YOU GOT A NICE PW !!! Congrats, you will continue to enjoy it for years to come as the prices for them continue into the clouds and they become scarcer and scarcer thanks to the piranha bidding frenzy mentality on Epay and gready antique dealers, etc.