I Forge Iron

Discoloration after quenching

Another question from me. You guys are really helping me out thank you so.. I am having a problem after I forge something and quench/cool it in the water, it gets rust or what looks like rust on it. I like the unfinished look but the rust color doesnt look good. I am having to wire wheel all the color off just tomake it presentable. Could this be from not wire brushing good enough before quenching? Any help?

When you cool it, leave it a "little" hot so the water will evaporate off but you can still handle it. I wipe it down with an oil rag after cooling in water if I am not going to work it any more. If it the the last time in the forge I will cool it in peanut oil from a black heat for the final finish. When the weather gets warmer (the smithy is a mite cool this time of year) I will try out some of the laquer and spray finishs to see how they work. Beeswax while the part is still warm works good too. I remember reading a whole topic on finishs before the update. Search for it and you should find many good ideas. Keep hammering!