I Forge Iron

48" Cone Mandrel

TWEW99

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI.
They go for more than anvils! Crazy high...most of the time. But you can run across one that is at a resonable price. I would think (and some folks call me 'cheep';) ) that $200-250 is a fair price if in good condition. I'm constantly on the lookout for one, that and a good swage block. Cones are rarely on eBay and you only see a swage block occassionally, anvils often.
If you will click on 'user cp' in the green bar at top of page and update your profile we can help you further with tools, hammer-ins, meetings, and other blacksmith related info in your area. Shoot, with IFI in over 50 countries and THOUSANDS of members you may have a guy/gal just up the street beating on hot steel!:) On the home page is a place you can check to see if there is a blacksmith group in your area, I suggest hooking up with them. They will be glad to help and if you are in the market of selling the cone I would bet someone there would purchase it. Once again welcome, and enjoy the site.

"Scarcer than hen's teeth" is what I was told by the smith who located mine when I asked him if he might know where I could get my hands on one. I had been searching for one for about two years at that point with no luck. He told me he knew of an Amish smith and wheelwright who had one in his shop many years before but he hadn't seen him in years.
I got a call back a few days later. Available, what's my offer...The old smith now in his 90's had closed the wagon shop many years ago but still had all his tooling.
$500 later I had my floor cone, about 42" high. I think there is a pic in the gallery of it.
These are not so easy to find. I had done a LOT of asking around with no results until I met the smith who found it for me and the price I paid was regarded as fair by several accomplished smiths at the time, 2006. These don't seem to become available very much at all.

I bought 2 brand new 48'' x12'' cone mandrels with tong slots from Laurel Machine and Foundry in Laurel, Miss. Shipped to NW Wash. the pair came to about $1100 about 10 years ago. The cones were really beautifully cast ductile iron with a nice rim around the base to fasten it down with. Pretty handy tool, not just for truing up rings but also for the wide variety of curves available. The tip of the cane also makes a handy bucking iron for backing rivets on deep enclosed work.

I'm not sure if they are still in business, Laurel also made some nice cast anvils , firepots and hand mandrels

Welcome aboard stranger from an unknown land, glad to have ya. If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries (Glenn says he can only name 50 countries and won't claim more than he can name) Anyway, a lot of info is location specific.

For instance someone living reasonably close may have exactly the info you need and would be happy to part with it for a cup o Joe at the local greasy spoon.

Frosty

I bought 2 brand new 48'' x12'' cone mandrels with tong slots from Laurel Machine and Foundry in Laurel, Miss. Shipped to NW Wash. the pair came to about $1100 about 10 years ago. The cones were really beautifully cast ductile iron with a nice rim around the base to fasten it down with. Pretty handy tool, not just for truing up rings but also for the wide variety of curves available. The tip of the cane also makes a handy bucking iron for backing rivets on deep enclosed work.

I'm not sure if they are still in business, Laurel also made some nice cast anvils , firepots and hand mandrels

These guys? They ain't hiding. Laurel Machine & Foundry Co.

Say S. If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location I won't have to try remembering who's in the neighborhood if I'm traveling and want a snack or cold beverage. Yeah, I skipped the practical reasons, you've been aboard long enough to have heard all that so I thought I'd just flick a little at ya like an old friend.

Frosty

Thanks for your replies....I've been looking on Ebay and see there are none listed and none have been sold recently...So we are considering listing it there in the very near future with a starting bid of around 300.00 I'll post when it comes up.

I misunderstood I thought you were looking. Where are ya? I wouldn't mind a nice mandrel cone and seeing as my great grand Uncle Bert's widow sold all the smithing tools and equipment he'd collected to scrappers I don't have one. Uncle Bert's large enough for a semi double to go round circle drive was lined with a fence on both sides. Posts with large logging chain hung on the tops all the way around, the posts were maybe 5-6' apart. After Uncle Bert passed away Father told me about all the equipment Uncle Bert had collected. The fence was made of cone mandrels, probably 150 or more and that was only a few of his. Anyway, here's hoping you actually live in the MatSu valley AK and I can talk Deb into driving the pickup over.

Frosty