I Forge Iron

Kohlswa Anvil

I scoured the internet looking for some information on this anvil on ebay, item #45477479 or do a search, i believe it is the only Kohlswa on there. It is a relist, I bid $300 previously, but did not meet the reserve. I could not understand why no one was bidding very high on the anvil when it was previously put up for bid, maybe you folks can tell me why? Has one heck of a faceplate, you can see it well in one pic. I got on the Sweden website but can not read Swedish. I started to bid higher but do not know enough about anvils yet, have Richard P's book on order. I may have let a good one go, the seller added the word Blacksmith in the title this time so many more veiwers are going to see it this time around.

Hey, you should take that Kohlswa if its in good state.

I have 3 Kohlswas and I want nothing else, great pieces of Swedish steel, love them. if you are a bit more interested, look up my latest videos on youtube, so you can get an ideal of how they are.

One of my videos
YouTube - Forging a letter opener

Take good care,

Joe

I'm not an expert on Kolswa anvils.

I understand they bought the molds and rights from Soderfors some years ago. Soderfors anvils most certainly do have a faceplate on a cast steel body. My 125 Soderfors is the finest anvil I've ever used, great return of energy moves steel and iron beautifully,

I've seen a couple Kolswas and they have face plates welded to the body in the mold as the molten steel is cast. There's no visual difference in the joint from my Soderfors.

Then again, that's just my experience. Alaska is NOT known as the place to find blacksmithing tools and equipment so anvils are pretty rare in general.

Frosty

TechnicusJoe: Lookin' good there young fella. You got the moves down and look comfortable in your working. Really enjoyed the video. Might I suggest, if I may, that you radius the far edge of your anvil for turning scrolls like that. Avoids marking. Have you seen the way the Germans often do. BIG radius on the far edge. Good for drawing and turning. I have dressed mine to about 1/2 inch (12mm) radius and wouldn't mind more.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the first 4in with a 3/8 radius then tapered to the heel. Might try 1/2 on the latest one.

Ken

Say -on those Kohlswa's there's a period of time when they wern't very good. Because of enviromental concerns in Sweden in the early 90's they changed some things in the manufacturing process.The result was soft tops to these anvils.Centaur Forge quit carrying them in I believe 91 and from what I understand talking to centaur forge'this continued thru the 90's.For myself, I would make darn sure what year it was made before I purchased something sight unseen

Sometimes you get lucky, I found a small 55lb Kohlswa at a flea market a few months ago for $100. I didn't need it but for the price ...

Anyway, It comes in handy for small quick jobs and is easy to move around. It would be nice to find a larger one.

Joe, I enjoyed your video. I wish I had started that young.