I Forge Iron

New here

GForge

Want to say hello. Just starting to buy tools for blacksmithing, I have found a few at the antiques shops, not the glitsy spotless shops but the back in the country, dusty weather beaten shops. Seem to get the better deals there, where the tools have not been cleaned up, polished and oiled yet. Have also been collecting up scrap steel wher I can find it, that is rather easy. Maybe in 6 mo's or so I will be forging some on the side. have been looking for an anvil, have one that is 80#s, good for light work I guess but from what I can gather the bigger the better. I just ordered Richard Postmans book,Anvils in America, was 65 + postage, to get some knowledge on buying a good un. This book must be quite in demand, Amazon books had some sellers selling the book at $100 and up! Anyways, glad to be here, looks like a good place to gain some well needed knowledge. Look forward to getting to know you folks, GForge

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!! Your local blacksmith guild/club/group will have a library that you can access...once you join. A good way of having a book without buying it. FWIW.
There is, or was back in '01, a good smith at the living histoy place just out from Roanoke. Wife and I were through there back then on a vacation and went through the place and really enjoyed him. Can't remember his name...it's that age thing...
Get the 80lber if you can and the $$ is right. There is a lot you can do with one this size and it will get you to hammerin' hot metal. Then you can take your time looking for that 'BIG' one.
If you think that AIA is high on Amazon take a look at "Samuel Yellin Metalworker" by Jack Andrews. (isbn 1-875935-17-3) I have the book, bought it several yrs back but DID NOT pay the $400+ that is being asked now! IIRC, I payed $35-45 for it. A fantastic book just NOT that fantastic! But then the last I saw a copy of "The Blacksmith's Cookbook" by Francis Whitaker they were asking $350.00...go figure!

Welcome aboard GFroge, glad to have you.

You could do a lot worse than an 80lb anvil, I made do with a 60lb home made anvil for several years, heck, I still have and occasionally use it. Just remember, it isn't the tool that makes the most difference.

Frosty