I Forge Iron

need some coaching

Hey fella's I am new to the art and would appreciate any coaching you would be able and willing to share. First, I need to know just what coke is and what is it for? also I need to understand what, if any, are the differences between fluxes. any help is greatly appreciated and if you would like to talk personally I would be willing to share my personal e-mail and or phone number. Thanx, Robert P.

first welcome the best way to get help is find your local blacksmith chapter through the abana web sight. they meet once a month and there is on hand help. At www.metalwebnews under blacksmithing there books you can down load. also go through the threads on this web sight search each subject you have queations about there are lots of dissusions on the questions you asked about.

Robert,
Like Francis mentioned use the search feature on the green menu bar at the top of the screen. Come up with questions on what you don't understand or need clarification on.

Coke is what is left from the coal when the volatiles like sulfur have burned off. It burns clean and hot. You save some of this from each fire to have available the next time you forge.

As for fluxes, well, you'll have to try for yourself to tell that one. Many of us just use Borax to start with because it is cheap and easy to get. I have used one or two other types and saw no real benefit but my experience is pretty limited.

Send me a Private message if you want.

Welcome aboard Robert glad to have ya.

Coke is to coal what charcoal is to wood, basically pure carbon that can develope great heat without imparting impurities into the work.

The best advice has already been offered, find a local group, download free smithing books, search IFI. You can also just build a fire and take a lash at it.

Frosty

One other thing. Don't go spending money yet on buying stuff. Wait until you are knowledgeable to get or build the right stuff. Your money is better spent on a membership to a local forge or on a quality hammer of your own to use at the local forge than it is on a junky anvil. You really need to find someone or someplace that you can go to to learn and gain experience for a few months before you try to build your own shop. Otherwise you will have spent too much money on stuff that is inadequate in the long run.