I Forge Iron

Tirehammer finished

That is a really nice looking machine. It looks like it moves metal real well too. Thank you for sharing with that video. Could you let us know the stock size that was used? There isn't that many pictures and videos showing the tire hammer. Thanks again.

Spears

• 4 weeks later...

very cool going to build a tire hammer as well ordering plans from mr. spencer tomorrow i would be greatful for any tips

Bigfish,

You may find that the counter weight is too light. I had to increase the weight to 11.5 lbs to minimize/eliminate sideway walking vibration.
Someone else on another thread made the same discovery. With the toggle arms attached and the hammerhead disconnected the counter weight should allow the tire to stay in any position that you set it without the brake on. This is a static balance that I found necessary.

Ted

Bigfish,

You may find that the counter weight is too light. I had to increase the weight to 11.5 lbs to minimize/eliminate sideway walking vibration.
Someone else on another thread made the same discovery. With the toggle arms attached and the hammerhead disconnected the counter weight should allow the tire to stay in any position that you set it without the brake on. This is a static balance that I found necessary.

Ted

thanks ted to say i am an amateur at blacksmithing would be an understatement one of my good friends built a forge out of an old grill 6 months ago and i have been infected by the smithing bug to the point that the doctor says the only cure is a power hammer:D however we are men of fairly limited means and possibly a fuzz above average fab skills we definitely have pretty meager tool selection however this forces us to get creative
but that is half the fun right:}
anyways back to the hammer the more i think about it a treadle hammer may be more suited to our situation-$ also head space may be a problem by looking @ the pics holding off on the wheel hammer plans to do further research
But on the upside i dug a piece of 1 inch x24"x48"deck plating out i bought @ an auction years ago i think this should make a perfect base thing must weigh 500 pounds also dug out an old 1hp motor also purchased from said auction

any advice will be greatly appreciated to help pull me out of this quandary newbie=treadle or wheel hammer

24"x48"x1" plate steel weighs about 320lbs. Figure about .28# per cubic inch for a rough guess. Will make a great hammer base regardless.

awesome!! i just wish it would quit snowing up here so i can take a field trip to the junkyard:] i think this place is incredibly helpful and feel honored to be a member have been reading as many of the posts i can and feel that i will benefit greatly from being around and will give our little forging operation quite a jumpstart

I THANK YOU ALL in advance for any advice or answers to questions i might have