I Forge Iron

give me shelter

Metal studs are really easy to do if you can run a screwgun. I highly recommend building with them, no combustability factor there!!

WHAT?!:o What kind of blacksmith couldn't get combustion out of sheetmetal metal studs?

Oh, okay Mike I won't tell and inspectors I talk to just how easy it is to burn steel.:rolleyes:

Frosty

Gee Bryan you must live a little farther out of North Pole than I thought. I knew a few people who lived therre and they were always complaining about the city inspecting everything they did. Good site selection buddy!

I wonder if it'd be possible to get the Hammurabi concept applied to politicians? Hmmmmmm.

Frosty

One nice thing about living in rural Alaska is, no building codes. One bad thing about living in rural Alaska is, no building codes. You should see what passes for a house here sometimes. That being said. No one tells me what to do on my land. And I like that. But, also I have worked in construction most of my adult life and I know how to build well. I haven't had to build any out structures here. I have a 12'x16' shed and a 6'x12' chicken coop. Not to mention the pole barn for the cars. Codes and code enforcement can be a pain. But, they are there for a reason. The laws of Hammurabi (sp) said that if a builder builds a house and it falls and kills the owner the builders life is forfit. They have been with us a long time. If I ever do build a structure here on the property it will be built to a strict building code, even though one is not needed. Safety first.

Personally I think your smithing space is well built and thought out. Looks good to me. I'm working under a tent as I am trying to get the shed heated and insulated And in these temps that's not fun. Note to self, gasser.

ya the nay-bors i hope no one says anything the guy behind me prob wont say anything next door i think im good caddy corner is a little iffi thinking about a little gift maybe some trivets or something to keep every one happy

Good plan. Keeping on the neighbor's good side is your best ticket for avoiding friction with the authorities. I used to blacksmith in a trailer couirt, my nearest neighbor was 30' away. I did a lot of light and med weight metal repair for anyone who asked. I sharpened a LOT of knives, welded lots of kitchen chairs and tables and such. I never got a single complaint.

So, make some trivets, coat hooks and maybe gate hardware or mailbox stands for your neighbors. It's fun work (at least I think it is) and if it makes your neighbors feel good towards you it's a win win.

Heck, make somethingfor the inspector! Seriously, why not?

Frosty

Bentiron, I understand what your saying. I've dealt with inspectors like that too. However, the majority that I have had dealings with were good men and women that were doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. Every job has its jerks. I just don't let them upset me. Where's the good in that. I just consider the source and move on from there.

There was one building inspector in one of cities where I did projects. This dude was always finding fault with something or another. Things would go through plan check, get approved and construction would start. He would change things, contractor would grudgingly make the change, inspector would change it again. This would go on for months. Contractors hated to get him on their projects. One time a contractor got so steamed he took a 2x4 to the inspector after the fourth change that brought things back to the original plans. Inspector was in the hospital for a week and the contractor was acquitted of assault at trial. Now we all figured that was justice.

ya karen this sure did get some heated response and i hope that i dont get red flagged by the city but it sure is nice the rain started falling yesterday just after i finished installing the downspouts. Dora seems to like it she is quite supportive with most of what i do although she wants more orginization i kinda bounce from one thing to another and dont finish things alot of the time if i didnt know better i would think i was a tweeker too many projects not enough time
oh ya and welcome back frosty