I Forge Iron

give me shelter

finally got around to putting a roof over my shop just in time they say it may rain next week although we havent had much in the past few years we will see. i framed it out of metal studs used 6'' 16ga for the posts welded 12'' oc i built two box headers to span the shop area the joists are 2 1/2'' 18 ga the roof panels were salvaged off a building that was going to be tore down. the studs were left over from jobs i worked in the past so it only cost me my own labor to put up

19339.attach

19340.attach

19341.attach

19342.attach

19343.attach

19344.attach

19345.attach

19346.attach

thanks for the input guys fe-wood yes i am planing some type of protection for the wind i have some heavy canvas that should work nice also my dad is up there in your neck of the woods maybe i will try to come by your place next time i am up that way. divermike- we grow every thing over here in the way of produce we are the salad bowl of the world a bag of artichokes is like 6 bucks at farm stand. today i am going to the local college to make some gutters i have two pieces of 18 ga sheet metal it was going to cost about $120.00 at home repot and i am not working now so i figured this would be the best way just need to use the 10' sheet metal brake and the shear

Since you seem to have a nice concrete floor, putting some feet and maybe wheels on some sheets of plywood standing up can make for a nice easy to move wall. If you make a Z brace to reinforce the feet you can nest them rather tightly together for storage too.
Phil

One nice thing about living in rural Alaska is, no building codes. One bad thing about living in rural Alaska is, no building codes. You should see what passes for a house here sometimes. That being said. No one tells me what to do on my land. And I like that. But, also I have worked in construction most of my adult life and I know how to build well. I haven't had to build any out structures here. I have a 12'x16' shed and a 6'x12' chicken coop. Not to mention the pole barn for the cars. Codes and code enforcement can be a pain. But, they are there for a reason. The laws of Hammurabi (sp) said that if a builder builds a house and it falls and kills the owner the builders life is forfit. They have been with us a long time. If I ever do build a structure here on the property it will be built to a strict building code, even though one is not needed. Safety first.

Personally I think your smithing space is well built and thought out. Looks good to me. I'm working under a tent as I am trying to get the shed heated and insulated And in these temps that's not fun. Note to self, gasser.

Grant, Do have good schools, fire protection, trash pick up, regular police patrol, library privileges? I got 1/4 acre, no shop, so it sounds like you have a much better deal than me! That's about $1200 an acre which sounds like heaven to me for what you have. You may be so far out in the boondocks that you have to pay for fire protection and trash pickup, have no library and schools where the graduates from high school don't know how to figure the square foot of a building and never see the sheriff except when there's trouble but when I read about Washington state it ain't flat arsed broke and the education system is rated a lot higher than Arizona's ever was.
Bryan, I agree about building codes being there for safety but when they harass you to the point of nervous break down or towering rage the inspector has gone to far. That is not the point of having a building code. Some of these men are just mean spirited when they get a little power put at their disposal. I have been through it with one such fellow. He was totally ignorant of what he was supposed to be enforcing and it took intervention of others to get him to back down and give me my green tag.

Nice work Clinton. You're a carpenter but you chose metal studs? I swung a framing hammer for years in my younger days and I've never tried metal stud construction. The missus needs another shed for her holiday decorations and I was thinking metal studs. How hard are they to use?

Some of these men are just mean spirited when they get a little power put at their disposal. I have been through it with one such fellow. He was totally ignorant of what he was supposed to be enforcing and it took intervention of others to get him to back down and give me my green tag.

There's nothing more annoying than a little man with a little authority. Back in the late 1700's the French came up with a neat cure for bossy, unresponsive government. A good smith could build one in a few afternoons.

I'm new to this site, Bentiron. I live down here in Mesa. AZ. I have a humble little hobby smithy with a propane forge. I put it under a "ramada" like Clinton's, only all wood. It works. I used 3" of clean fine sand, well, it was clean at one time, for the floor. It's easy on the feet, but makes it easy to lose small tools and parts. No complaining neighbors...yet.

Death and taxes are certainties...

Nice roof... like the idea of steel .. all steel all the time.. very little fire danger...

Over here I got .45 acre.. about 1800 square feet to live in... and about $3800 in taxes... I wanted to build a shop.. the town wanted me to pull a permit... $325... submit engineered plans... who knows how much $.. and !! build it to a 125 mph wind uplift requiremnt... adding about $1200 to my build cost for steel hurricane hardware...

now I get the concept that if you are building a new house.. but I wanted a 10 by 12 shed.... I have been in construction for years.. and know how to build safe buildings.... but that was excessive....

but this is where I chose to live...

Nice work Clinton. You're a carpenter but you chose metal studs? I swung a framing hammer for years in my younger days and I've never tried metal stud construction. The missus needs another shed for her holiday decorations and I was thinking metal studs. How hard are they to use?

yes i am a carpenter and out here metal stud framing is a good portion of our work i have been doing it primarily for over 10 years it is actually very easy to work with just noisy when cutting with a chop saw we use a lot of "heavy gauge" material (16ga-12ga) we use self tapping screws except on 25ga use pointers 16'' oc or 24'' oc and it is usually built in place as opposed to wood frame where you stand the wall up after you frame it. i could go on but if you want any pointers when you build that shed just send me a p-m and i will help you out

Nice space you have there! I put my shop up in much the same way. Then my neighbor complained to the city and they made me tear it down because I put it up with out a permit. Hope you have nice neighbors.

HH

ya the nay-bors i hope no one says anything the guy behind me prob wont say anything next door i think im good caddy corner is a little iffi thinking about a little gift maybe some trivets or something to keep every one happy

Boy, I thought my taxes were high! Not so, compaired to Washington.

I agree we need a baseline for building standards and yes proper inforcement but when the building and planning department tells you what you can and cannot do on your land, that when my blood pressure starts to rise! Sometimes it truely makes no sense. You can take a 5000 Sq ft. lot and put a 4500 sq ft house on it as long as you are within the set backs. Try putting a 1200 sq ft house with a 1000 sq ft shop. Ain't hapn'n, have to call it a 4 car garage insted.

Fat Pete, You burn roofs too!..Oh, my!
QUOTE]

I think he means he burns the roofs of inspectors who xxx him!

Just joking Mike, the only inspectors who've visited our place were reasonable folk who agreed my normal level of overkill more than met any codes.

Frosty