I Forge Iron

Hi. First post anvil ID

I bought this years back to do metal work in NJ. I now live in AZ in a community I don't think they would like the "ring" LOL I was trying to Identify this. It has what appears to be a 161 or 61 on the left of the front foot and177152 or possibly 77152 on the right of the front foot I didnt want to damage it in trying to read he numbers. the base looks to be all one piece with a steel plate with a defined line although with the horn to the right the line for the plate is not as easily identified. I put it on the scale its 160 lbs. no other markings that I can see and it has a flat bottom with an oval dish. underneath the rear it looks like lines or tool marks. nothing under the horn. sides have nothing either. Thanks in advance for the info I am excited to see what it is. I find this stuff fascinating.

19229.attach

19230.attach

19231.attach

Looks like a Trenton. Nice anvil!

The 161 is the weight in pounds. The other number is the serial number. If the serial number is 177152, it was made in approximately 1920. If the serial number is 77152, it was made in approximately 1908.

Edited by Sask Mark
Added more info from AIA.

There are numerous ways to make an anvil more quiet including (but not limited to) wrapping it with chain at the waist, fastening it down tightly to a stump and using a bedding compound such as silicone or polyurethane caulk between the anvil and the stump.

If smoke is a problem, then use charcoal, corn or get/build a gas forge instead of coal. If noise during the day is still a problem, then you will need an indoor work environment with adequate ventilation and sound control measures.

Welcome aboard, and that is a nice anvil you have!

Phil