I Forge Iron

repairing bent hooks

I have a couple of hooks on pulleys that have been overloaded and stretched out of shape. The first is on a 4 inch diameter or so wire rope block with a 10k pound rating, the other on a 3 pulley rope block.

What is the best way to bend these back into shape? Cold with lots of pressure? Hot which would be the easy way. Should the hot bent hook be tempered or let air cool?

What does either method do the the performance of the hook?
Would it still have the original load rating?

Are these hooks for a lifting device Glenn? What is the material? Without knowing the material it is imposible to say how they should be heat treated. Usually it is much better to be soft because a gradual bending is better that breaking. If it is for a lifting device in a commercial application I would be very careful. The hooks I just finished had to be magnetic particle tested and sample material had to be impact tested. I also had to provide documentation from my heat treater. Often hooks have to be x-rayed on a regular basis. If these are standard hooks replacing them will probably be cheaper than all the testing. Are you willing to bet your house on your repair?

Edited by JNewman

These would be used on a personal basis for pulling, lifting, or as needed. I have no idea of the parent material specs.

The wire rope pulley was out on load and came back stretched. I ask how and got the run-a-round.

The deal was 2 ea. 3 pulley wooden blocks and a 2 pulley wooden block. Even if you discount one of the blocks you still have enough pulleys to form a block and tackle. The one block has some damage to the side of the wooden frame and the hook is stretched but could be repaired with new wood, hook repair, or a new hook, if needed.

I would adjust them hot. First because it is easier, and second because it would cause less work hardening to the hooks....

However that being said, since these blocks have been overloaded, they may need to be taken apart, checked for wear, fatigue and abuse.... cooked bearings or bushings, cracked wheels, and bent axles can all make work harder than it needs to be.... and can cause injury and death...

You know this already... It sounds like you just want them for light lifting.,... a little spray paint with a with a low working load might be a good idea... just so someone who is not you doesn't get into trouble....

Just a suggestion... good luck and be safe..
Cliff

I have made a number of light duty slip hooks out of mild steel according to Schwarzkopf's* directions. I let them normalize. Nowadays, however, I understand that hooks are manufactured of medium carbon steel or alloy steel and are hardened and tempered at the factory. I think that when used for repeated hoisting and the hooks begin to open (stretch), that is a sign of failure, and they are discarded. P.S. It is best to have them open slowly rather than suddenly shearing in two.

In some industrial applications, they have a discard schedule, and all hooks are thrown out and replaced at certain times of the year. The idea has to do with safety, and not all plants have heat treatment departments.

I agree with Newman's above post re not knowing the type of iron or steel. I don't think that one should guess about how to reforge and heat treat.

A friend from Toronto was researching old records at the library. He ran across an obsolete law stating that all wood hooks were to be brought to the blacksmith on an annual basis to be annealed. We assumed that the wood hooks were of wrought iron and were used in logging. The annealing would somewhat refine the grain structure of the wrought iron.

*Ernst Schwarzkopf, "Plain and Ornamental Forging," Astragal Press reprint 2000AD.
Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School

Being that you are a smith Glenn, if I were you I'd forge new hooks. Just too much to worry about with ones that have been overloaded and damaged. It's not that hard to do. 4140 or something with even a little more carbon would be good.

Loaning tools is a pain! I do it rarely and reluctantly (I am usually sorry afterwards too). It is real amazing how careless people can be with other peoples tools. If they were responsible people they would have their own tools.

Glen,

I work with lifting devices. The paper trail on everything connected to the load side is tremendous. We can't use slings that don't have cert tags attached. Lifting wires are calendar timed for replacement, not hours. Overloaded or even bad looking hooks get canned.

That being said and I understand this a personal use (risk) item, work the hook hot and heat treat it the same as you would for proof chain. I would not attempt to re-bend the hook cold. As a safety recomendation, when you are done, de-rate the lifting load by 25percent of capacity. That should give you more than enough of an operational safety margin.

Be safe and best regards,
Peter