I Forge Iron

Pleased to meet you.

Good morning to all. I'm new to the forum here, thought I would introduce myself.
Smithing has always been an interest for me, figured I'd try and get started in it. Living in a college town, it'll have to be constrained to the weekends, mostly (classes and whatnot), so I think I'll set up shop back home (like 30 minutes away), just to avoid the hassle of the city legislature.
I have the forge essentially set up, I have a few hammers, but an anvil still eludes me.

Just to get a feel for the basics, I plan on starting with a forge shovel and a fireplace poker, both plans taken from Foxfire, book 5, but yet again, I'm missing a xxxx anvil!

In short, I'm glad I stumbled across you guys.

Edited by Mod18
language

Welcome to the show,
I am in the same position as yourself. I am just starting out, managed to find an anvil though. All I can say is that the folks here are very nice and helpful even for someone just starting out. The Forum is filled with skilled crafts people and a wealth of information.:)

welcome, no where in your message can I find where you are planning to set up, if you redo your profile so we may see your location, we may be able to stear you to some folks who are also interested, and maybe, just maybe, they will have an extra anvil layin around!!

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Don't worry about the anvil, just let EVERYONE you meet know that you are looking for one and that you are wanting to use it. One will show up. In the mean time you can use any large chunck of metal for an anvil. Hit your local scrap yard and ask to browse the yard, tell them what you are looking for and they will probably give ya an idea as to where to look.
Also, if you will update your profile and give your location we can put you onto blacksmith related stuff close to you; tools, meetings, hammer-ins, other smiths close by, etc. Just click on 'User CP' in the green bar at the top of the page, city&state is good to know.
Once again, welcome. Enjoy.