I Forge Iron

Serration

tnraines

Hope I spelled that right little one fussy again, anyway. After seeing a friends tracker knife from tops, I decided I like the serration on top of the blade, and was playing with the idea of adding it to my knife I been planning. Ideas or techniques in adding them to a knife be much appreciated.

Troy

Serrations or anything similiar are a matter of removing metal to fashion wot you want it to look like.
When I think of serrations I think of one sided cutouts on the cutting edge of a blade. usually near the end of the blade closest to the handle. Those kind are done on hand made blades with a round file. Commercially likely with a shaped grinder. If you mean a different kind of serration please let us know.
A concern about your question is that if that is the style that you are looking for where are you going to put it on the spine of the blade?
If it is near the ricasso or guard area you may get it into your flesh rather easily.
Most of the time when I think of things like this on the spine of the blade I envision a type of saw kind of cutting area.

In any case wot ever you decide you will need something to remove metal to shape wot you want. A chain saw file will make half round kinds and a hack saw, triangular files or wot ever you can find to work will do other kinds. Important for looks is that the spacing is carefully layed out and executed. Fine finishes can be taken care of by wet or dry paper after cutting or filing. Before I would suggest you try a blade do alot of practice on mild steel about the same thickness as your blade will be. It will not be real tough to learn but spend some time and get it right...and have fun

Thanks for the replies. Honestly I thought about on the spine area but didn't give much thought as to where, perhaps I should think more on that, I do not like interupting the main cutting edge with a serration. My thought was a multi purpose knife but not the one blade for everything. I got axes saws, knives etc. And honestly I am quickly running out of room for my other gear now that I have an addition to the family, so was thinking of "Hey I am going to try my hand at a knife why not add a saw function for small stuff" Perhaps I am trying to do to much? I refuse to spend 600 dollars on a knife to take to the woods, and I really think Tom Brown's knife is a brick, though sure it is good at what it does. My thought was something rugged, that I am not afraid to use. Was thinking of about 10 inches in length overall, wrapping to handle with paracord. It does not need to be a pretty knife, just functional. So back to the scrap or fresh steel question.

Troy