I Forge Iron

First Tongs ... kinda ...

Sam Falzone

Forged my first set of tongs today ... kinda ... :)
I bought 5 sets of tong blanks 2 years ago. After inheriting 40 pairs of old tongs, I didn't know what to do with the blanks. Then I had the brainstorm of forging them to look like Norse-style tongs for my re-enacting kit. That's what I made today - and while I didnt make it from scratch, the modifications were a lot of work. I like the way they turned out - not fabulour repros, but I still like em.
Sam

18541.attach

18542.attach

18543.attach

Jamie from Polarbear Forge makes them.
He supplies them to Dan from Irontree Forge and I bought them from him at an SCA event (Called Pennsic) 2 years ago. Jamie also makes bolt tong blanks too (I bought 2 pairs this year). He's on the forum so look him up. They're nice to work with, I'm looking forward to playing with the others.
Sam

They look good but if you are going to be using them take the time now and grind or file out the small cold shut near the hinge. Otherwise that small shut may grow into a crack, and the tongs will break. If you grind or file it out now you will save yourself a lot of greif later on.

It's actually not even a cold shut - it's just a thin fold-over from a bad hit. Thanks for the advice though. BTW I've been meaning to come out and visit your shop sometime since you're so close to my house. Between schoolwork, classes and everything else, I'm hoping sometime before the holidays. Maybe I'll come buy myself a small swage block for christmas :D
Sam

I just finished my first pair of tongs yesterday (yay!), and they look pretty good... for a first pair of tongs. Nothing like yours, Aeneas, but they are even and rotate fine and grab stuff fine as well. One problem. Can anyone tell me how to groove out the jaw without a fuller or hardie for the purpose? Even more sad, my anvil is a 12" piece of railroad track, so I have no horn. :( After all is said and done, I have a nice matching set of tongs I made pretty much by the seat of my pants that can't hold on to round stock at all, or anything else that needs a grooved jaw to grip it for that matter.