I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing Books

Many years ago, I was at a library sale and picked up a copy of "The Art of Blacksmithing" by Alex Bealer (copyright 1969)

Has anyone here ever read it? What was *your* opinion of it?

Photographs would have been nice, but there *are* about 500 illustrations, one of which was the patch of maille that I studied for hours trying to figure out the basic weave, leading me to eventually be a full-time, professional maille smith.

Anyway, to those more experienced smiths, I ask you...

What do *you* think of this book?

Are there others that you personally would recommend to the beginning blacksmith?

Thanks,

David

While I am not an experienced blacksmith I have been bitten by the bug for well over a year now and have spent many hours studying and practicing the craft.
I must say the Alex Bealers "The Art of Blacksmithing" has proven to be an excellent book for me. It was one of the first books of several that I have purchased, borrowed,etc. I think it should be part of any blacksmiths library and wouldn't hesitate to guess that many wouldn't agree with me.

BTW - I am currently awaiting delivery of George Dixons "A Blacksmiths Craft" Vol I as my birthday gift from my lovely wife.

Many years ago, I was at a library sale and picked up a copy of "The Art of Blacksmithing" by Alex Bealer (copyright 1969)

Has anyone here ever read it? What was *your* opinion of it?

Photographs would have been nice, but there *are* about 500 illustrations, one of which was the patch of maille that I studied for hours trying to figure out the basic weave, leading me to eventually be a full-time, professional maille smith.

Anyway, to those more experienced smiths, I ask you...

What do *you* think of this book?

Are there others that you personally would recommend to the beginning blacksmith?

Thanks,

David

that was the first book a had on blacksmithing .... it dosnt have a lot of the practical knowledge of other books but is good as a overview and history book it is a classic for its time...there are many beginners books out there (edge of the anvil ,ect) and it kinda depends on what you are willing and want to do .. ive got over 50 books on various aspects of blacksmithing and ironworking kinda tough to reccomend one of um over others .Ime a firm believer in if it has new info buy it ! of course a book is only good if you use the info so... go out and hammer!! :D

That was a good book. I had picked four copies at a book store that had discontinued books for cheap, like a fourth of publishers price and I gave them to friends that were interested in starting blacksmithing. It was a good investment, one, just one of them did and he had a good time doing it until his demise. I think his son still is doing it when he can.