I Forge Iron

Anvil Rest

Stand on the floor all comfortable like, and measure the height to your knuckles. subtract the height of the anvil from this, and offer your local firewood contractor a six-pack for a large round cut yonder long.

Now this, this might just work! Thanks :D

Eric, Just keep an eye out for folk having a big tree taken down, especially if you live in Phoenix. Happens a lot in the older parts of town. If you live in Phoenix or one of the other cities call the sanitation department and ask when bulk trash pick up is, sometimes it is on the city's web site and has a map of the areas with dates. Now that you have that you just drive along till you find one. If that ain't working for you build one like Unicorn Forge has or make one out of steel. Best of luck to you.

Actually built up anvil stands work better if the wood is used vertically and each piece goes from top to bottom---not so much flex. You can then leave a couple of pieces "long" to trap the anvil base.

Here in NM I have several stands made from old mining timbers, not my favorite but you do what you have to. Funniest one we have out here is for a bridge anvil up at the university Fine Arts class. To get the necessary width it's made from an inverted tree crotch and so has two legs, there has been some suggestions as to making it anatomically correct...

Call or drop by a tree service place, they'll either have something to give you (many of them turn their service jobs into firewood sales) or sell you for a few dollars. Or if they don't you can put in a request - in that case I'd shoot for sycamore or black locust, both are tough and heavy and might just outlast the anvil.

I've had decent luck with getting guys to help me out with things like that if I tell them what it's for - either they're curious about my hobby or they want to get rid of me, either way works I guess! :)

I got *two* new ones late last summer. A big ol' Poplar tree was being taken down, so I asked the site foreman if one of the guys could cut two chunks for me x" tall, "nice and level" Used the magic words "amateur blacksmith" and told him what I wanted them for (anvil stand and post vise/swage block stand). Next thing I knew there were too big-xxx chunks of wood on my lawn!

D.

Utility companies prefer not moving material. It makes it so they have to work more and the tree service is usually the lowest qualified bidder. If they are working in your area they are typically more than happy to leave wood for you. Often they will even bring several trees worth to your lot, cut to length you specified, from the immediate area since it uses less fuel to "dispose" of the wood that way.

With pests like the Emerald Ash borer beetle moving unprocessed wood can be illegal too. It's a good thing that a trip through a wood chipper takes care of most all of those critters.

Phil

I find that a tripod stand is much better than any wood base you can shape the plate that your anvil sits on to fit your anvil allowing you to let a longer piece pass by your base also make holes at hardy and pritchell holes for the same reason. The tripod will sit good on an uneven surface stump can rock back and forth and every time your anvil moves you loose force off you blows notice the angle of the legs on my anvil this is a tom clark ozark patern the legs a pretty straight up not much angle very sturdy 2''x4''x1/4 tubing the plate under the anvil is 1 1/8'' use silicone caulking between anvil and base holds it together if you want to lift the whole thing and you can separate by applying a little heat

18601.attach

18602.attach

18603.attach

If you have a permanent site, dig the stump a couple of feet into the ground; it's really useful to have a well fixed base. It's not really important to use seasoned wood but remove the bark to prevent rot.
The vital parts are to get the top surface flat and level and to make sure that the anvil's feet don't overhang; get a stump larger than you need if you plan to upgrade your anvil in the future.

one of mine... got this vulcan to try to keep the noise down in my new neighborhood. Had to make a stand quickly with what was in the shop. Just four 6x6 pressure treated post sections, spiked and banded together, bolted to a steel pipeline end cap. Thing's solid as a rock, and now i kinda like it. My other is a stump that I got from a firewood guy for a 12 pack of Bud Light. Want to make hofi-style tripods for both anvils in the future though, when I have some boredom on my hands.

1112091428a.jpg

Edited by MarkC

I have a couple of anvils sitting in welded up boxes of sand. I used 3/16" and 1/4" plate for the boxes. To keep the anvils from shifting around, I fabbed threaded prongs going through two flat bars, each bar fore and aft on the anvil base. When the nuts are tightened, it helps to keep the anvil face horizontal. I got the sand box idea from Schmirler's excellent how-to book, "Werk und Werkzeug des Kunstschmieds."

I'm in New Mexico, so it's easy to drive to the nearest arroyo (dry wash) and shovel up some sand.
Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools