I Forge Iron

smithy mini lathe mill combo

clinton

there is a guy selling this mini combo tool for $650.00 looks like a neat little tool the whole thing is about 3 feet long so I dont know how much work you could do with it and I am not fimillar with machine tools. so what do you guys think? is this thing worth picking up or just a kids toy, also there is some tooling as well. thanks for any help on this

trying to find out more info I think this one is older I dont see this model on smithy web site it is really small 3 feet long I guess the 1220 is about the closest thing it is posted on monterey craigslist if you want to see a picture jimbob

Edited by clinton
more info

trying to find out more info I think this one is older I dont see this model on smithy web site it is really small 3 feet long I guess the 1220 is about the closest thing it is posted on monterey craigslist if you want to see a picture jimbob

it looks like my 1220 with a 3 jaw chuck one box of lathe bits. did not see any gears to change the speed it is just the basic mechine...looks like who ever is selling it has left out most of the the gears and tools that came with it...I think I'ed contact them to see if they know where the rest of it is.no belts either

Might be a question of how much room is in your shop. I'm not familiar with this machine, but general experience dictates that multi-machines don't do anything really good. I have a nice large vertical mill (lagun ftv-2) and a big 16 inch swing by 8 foot South bend lathe, and I've often found the upper limits of what they both can do. Personally I would look around for a worn out bridgeport mill and a worn out 1950's lathe that can still do a lot of work. Light industry is taking a dump, there's lots of good machine tools out there begging for a new home.

I'm not familiar with this machine, but general experience dictates that multi-machines don't do anything really good. Personally I would look around for a worn out bridgeport mill and a worn out 1950's lathe that can still do a lot of work. Light industry is taking a dump, there's lots of good machine tools out there begging for a new home.

you make a good point ...if I were to buy one again I think thats what I'ed do

allright thanks for the input guys. I got an email with more pics and the gears are in there also a couple of lathe centers and a four way turret (not sure the terminoligy)
I do agree with finding a larger machine I have a small south bend lathe so I think I will watch local auctions and maybe get lucky on finding a brideport that is single phase. thanks again jimbob and mike-hr