I Forge Iron

Jim Wilson, The memories and life.

Guest 048535e267d9fe1a42da57e6999ccecb

Guest 0a2387da3bdf518294fb5a3165c3bd7b

Over on another web site that Jim was VERY active on it was mentioned the Jock should write an obit and post it for us all.
I think that what we should do is an old fashioned wake ( albeit an online one)
What I mean is this, those of us who were touched by Jim's life, and who so desires would write something and post it here. It could be anything from how Jim helped to personal stories of Jim.
Once this were done then it will be compliled and a nice hard copy be presented to Sheri and Jim's family.

Jim will be remembered (amooung other things) for sitting down with me and explaining in great detail the art of tempering. Whitesmith was as interested in getting tempering right as I was, so we hung on every word.

At the end of an hour and a half of intense discussion, we concluded that we saw colors differently but were within 50*F or so of each other in the temperature of the metal. We both were doing it right, just calling the colors different names due to our different life experiences.

To this day, when I temper metal and see the colors run, I stand awe.

and think of Jim.

Funny you mentioned tempering and teh oxide colors.
Several years back Jim and I were talking. First it was email, then o the phone.
Turns out Jim for some odd reason had the same phobia of forgewelding.
I was fussing at him to get his butt in gear.
I also shared the technique I figured out to tell weld temp. Many folks will say go to 'such and such ' a color. But as it was notied butter yellow is different to me than you.
I told Jim to bring teh metal and flux to the color of a pat of butter that is just starting to melt under a broiler.
Jim never looked back. And I was pleased to have been able to help.

I loved devilin' Jim about bein " Mister Wilson " and he (I think) loved replying to me as " Dennis " from time to time. Jim Wilson was a mans man and a true Patriot. He had a heart of gold and I knew him in ways (personal) that some don't. We shared common stuff with our kids. Not only was he a man of faith, he was a man or profound faith. Faith without works is dead and I will say that Jim worked his faith to the end. I believe that he is with our Maker and I hope to meet him there someday.

Ten

Being new to computers and smithing when I first came around I didn't know how to take PawPaw.It wasn't long before I realized that Jim was a staight shooter,and honorable man.The way he talked about his wife Sheri ,family, friends,country and craft,taught me to respect him.My being a private kind of guy I didnt get to know him but wish I had,my loss.The landscape is sure going to look different without him.My grandson calls me PaPa,it makes me smile.
Brent.

It is sad and ironic that the first post I make here is for Jim. I have posted this message on other boards and I would truly like it to be preserved in printed form here for Jims family.

Friday was the day I have been dreading for the last week. I have been offering prayers for the family as well as for Jim. I will continue to do so for a long time to come.

The announcement came shortly after I had signed off for the weekend so this morning is the first I have heard of Jims passing. Like many here, I first

Jim was the first man to actually respond to the questions I asked. Due to his diligence and patience I have been blessed with the oppertunity to enjoy this great hobby. I wonder how many of us can say that same thing. The man will live on in my memories for as long as I am able to smith, and I will pass the torch lit by him on to as many as will listen. Thank you Jim for everything. I guess the gates of heaven just needed to be repaired!
Joshua Langfitt

Guest 0a2387da3bdf518294fb5a3165c3bd7b

This is from Jock on anvilfire.

Jim Paw-Paw Wilson 1940 - 2005:

A bio/obit is coming. Jim's website will be converted to a memorial to him with a bit of information. I say a "bit" due to the fact that he had a very full and complex life. He spent three (I think) tours of duty in Vietnam. He was a police officer (and carried a badge to his dieing day), a fix-it man, raised 4 childrem of his own and 27 foster children THEN became a blacksmith and author. . .

Saturday I did "Paw-Paw's" last demo for him at Historical Bethabara Park with the portable shop I had built many years ago and the help of two of his sons, a grandson, a granddaughter and his young "apprentice" who was like another grandson. We then put out the fire, cleaned out his tools closed the trailer and left it to the museum that owns it. Another personal loss.

Yesterday we finished assembling the old Buffalo forge he had recently installed in his NEW shop and had not yet built its first fire. It was his wife Sheri's wish that we fire the forge for Jim and deface his touchmark per the story of the Master's passing in his book, The Revolutionary Blacksmith.

With the whole family gathered we lit the forge "Paw-Paw's" way (with desiel fuel). Family members took turns cranking the growling old hand crank blower until we had a hot fire. I placed his touchmark in the fire, heated it then clamped in his vise. I held the chisel while his grand children and apprentice struck it with a 3 pound hammer to deface the mark. It was then cooled slowly.

We finished off the fire with more forging lessons to the adult children and grandchildren. A humming bird feeder hanger was made as a group project for Sheri. Leaves were forged with the NC-JYH Tire Hammer.

After dinner we returned to the forge for the ringing ceremony. With tears in my eyes (as I have now as I write this) and barely able to speak I explained about the ceremony and the fact that Paw-Paw was one who had done much to make ringing the anvil a modern tradition and that thousands of others would be doing the same all across the world for him. I then rang the anvil four times and each of the 15 family members gathered there each slowly rang the anvil four times for a total of 64.

Jim had wanted his family to celebrate his life on his passing as it is the custom of an Irish wake. And THAT they have done. We have laughed and cried and told stories about the old cuss as well as his favorite stories. . His children have played for hours in the forge and THAT would have made Paw-Paw happier than anthing else.

There really is not much to add that has not already been said.

I have a special place in my heart for PawPaw. He was every thing that a man would want others to think of him. He was a devoted and loving husband, devoted and loving father. He was devoted to his fellow man and loved his country.
A few times in my 64 years I have come across men like JIM. At first you did not notice the light behind them, but as you got to know them the light kept getting brighter and brighter, until finally you realize. This man is not an ordinary man. He simply stands out in a crowd, even sitting in a chair.
I wish JIM and I could have sat down and had a good long conversation. Maybe we will yet.

Chuck Bennett

I have only met Paw Paw on the internet and through email, but I know him for a caring and compassionate man. A little over a year ago when my wife Cand's COPD got much worse, her name was posted on the Prayer List. I got an email from Paw Paw and it said "This sounds serious, but we will pray her though it." Throughout the last year of Candy's illness and her passing, Paw Paw kept in contact through email offering encouragement and prayers and after her passing, much comfort to me. I will always remember him fondly. The world has lost a great man.

Woody