I Forge Iron

smithy layout question from a newbie

I have an incredibly limited workspace available to me. 5' 7" deep x 10' 4" wide. My area *CANNOT* exceed these dimensions (It's really the largest that the darling wife will allow me to impede her back yard. :D )

Below is a pic of the current layout. Ignore the photo date, I changed the battery a couple of days ago and just forgot to change it [grin]

As you can see from the photo, I have my forge (obviously), an ASO, various tools and tongs (in the green wooden mortar box in back) and coal storage (in the 20 gallon galvy can)

I plan to make my post vise at some point this week, probably a close approximation to this

or this

Sooooooo.....

Any advice for those more knowledgable (which is pretty much everyone) on how to take what I have (including the post vise) and arrange it in the most efficient way? My wife's only *real* request is that it be efficient (for my safety) and that it looks nice (cuz she has to look at it too.)

(A note to the work triangle...there's only about 12-16" behind my forge before it's too close to the fence.)

Thanks for your help and advice. I really appreciate it.

David

18375.attach

18376.attach

18377.attach

My wife too has relegated me to the small space in the back yard ... I am planning to build my smithy in a space 5 x 8' ... I used the patio yesterday to set my mock up card board boxes inside that amount of space, just to see how things would go. The important things all fit nicely; space for a 24" sq forge table, 12x18 anvil block, post vice, slag bucket with a narrow work bench at the far end of the space ... now all I need is the actual stuff and about 20 pallets to build the place. Looks to me like you have most of what you need and space enough to do everything except large pieces. My biggest problem will be where to store all the stuff that has been following me home for the last 60 days ... bedframes, rebar, wheel drum, box channel iron, about 50# of bolts and nuts (all steel - some galvanized but all usable) and ... more. Good luck!
Tim

Not going to be making anything big. mostly little trinkets like S-Hooks, various hang-something-on-this hooks, letter openers (made one for my dad's xmas present this evening in fact!), fireplace stuff, leaves, etc....like I said, Just little stuff. I leave making armour to working cold.

Can't really put the anvil on end. At the same time, this isn't my permanent anvil. looking on various online resources for an *actual* one by spring. (Will be nice to have a hardy hole and a pritchell. not sure what I'll do with myself then. [grin] )

I know what you mean about gathering stuff, Tim. In the last week I've managed to find all kinds of stuff to work with next spring. now where to put it all without xxxxxxx off the wife...lol

D.

So true thomas. I would not cut the leg off my leg vice first of all. Can you cheet out while you are working pass the 5'-7"? If you can I would set the forge 45 degrees toward the anvil and push it towards the trashcansome wasted space there. Make a portable stan to suport the leg vice. The anvil can be moved with a hand truck (gaining space taking over the backyard comences she will never nowas long as you put it all back at the end of the day) besides where are you going to put your scrap pile?(along the fence behind the forge). I would border in the space you really want with timbers and put down more crushed rock a good even floor is the best safty item other than safty glasses you can have.

I highly recommend marrying farm girls, they already come adjusted to odd smells, noise, and their father likely had a shop, an electric welder, and an anvil.

Of course if there is more than one daughter, make sure to pick the one that inherits the family anvil. :D

PS: I also highly recommend discussing finances, goals, and other important stuff *before* marriage.

Edited by UnicornForge

I made sure I married a lady that had a strong devotion to a craft as well---and made sure it was a different one---(she never wants to use *my* tools!). She also understands *why* I *must* have something and is quite down with me going off to conferences without her---as I get to take care of things when she goes to conferences.

She's a spinster and so we are a steel-wool couple.

David,

One arrangement you might want to try is put the Vise against the fence, the forge on the right side (where your anvil is now) and put the anvil on the side towards the camera. Spacing between the three would be such that you only need to rotate your body to get to the next working position. Also this pulls the forge away from the fence, and gives you as much room as possible on all sides of the anvil. This is the arrangement I use whenever I setup, as I don't have a permanent location as of yet for my shop. The more you have to move to get from one workspot to another the less time you have to work on the metal while it is hot and the quicker you wear yourself out.

Not sure if I would leave the toolbox out in the VT weather, see if your wife would mind if you to make a tool cart that stores in the garage, or a lockable shed. Can be as simple as a small shelf unit with a door, mounted on a hand truck. Hammers on the bottom shelf standing on their heads, tongs on the next shelf or through rings on the side (old hand sized drawer pulls work nicely) and punches, hardies and such standing in pockets on the top. If you get the type of hand truck that is setup for buckets, you will have some room behind the storage area to stand up materials or a tin box could be added to a flat backed one. One selling point for the wife is the replacement cost of your small tools, should someone jump the fence and walk off with the tool collection.

Just some thoughts,

Rich C.

David,

One arrangement you might want to try is put the Vise against the fence, the forge on the right side (where your anvil is now) and put the anvil on the side towards the camera. Spacing between the three would be such that you only need to rotate your body to get to the next working position. Also this pulls the forge away from the fence, and gives you as much room as possible on all sides of the anvil. This is the arrangement I use whenever I setup, as I don't have a permanent location as of yet for my shop. The more you have to move to get from one workspot to another the less time you have to work on the metal while it is hot and the quicker you wear yourself out.

Thanks, Rich. I'll definately take those suggestions under consideration. So far it seems to be the grouping of ideas that might be workable and look good to my wife.

Not sure if I would leave the toolbox out in the VT weather, see if your wife would mind if you to make a tool cart that stores in the garage, or a lockable shed. Can be as simple as a small shelf unit with a door, mounted on a hand truck. Hammers on the bottom shelf standing on their heads, tongs on the next shelf or through rings on the side (old hand sized drawer pulls work nicely) and punches, hardies and such standing in pockets on the top. If you get the type of hand truck that is setup for buckets, you will have some room behind the storage area to stand up materials or a tin box could be added to a flat backed one. One selling point for the wife is the replacement cost of your small tools, should someone jump the fence and walk off with the tool collection.

Well, unfortunately no garage or shed. closest I've got is a deck over a back porch which my wife keeps threatening to make me enclose with lattice. Somehow I don't think she'd go for 3/4" plywood as a substitute. :D

95% of the smithy *wouldn't* be left outside in the cold Vermont Winter anyway. My stock, round and flat have a place in the basement. all my hand tools have their designated drawers in my 16 drawer toolchest, also in the basement.

During "smithing weather" is when I keep my stuff in the Army Surplus mortar box, and that locks. I supposed to make it easier for someone to just walk up, do a deadlift of a couple hundred pounds and walk off with my tools, their hernias dragging on the ground behind them. lol

Most of my tools are handmade by me anyway, except my hammers. The hammers themselves cost a grand total of *maybe* $30, harbor freight and garage sales.

hmmmmm.....maybe I can talk her into putting 12"x12" pavers under the porch, enclosing with 3/4" plywood (painted black on one side) then covering the plywood with white lattice.....would still give the look she wants and the security I'd want.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

David

David, during bad weather I used to use a 1 firebrick forge with a plumber's propane torch as the burner so I could still forge small items in my basement---did nails for a wood working project (Mastermyre Chest) a lot of hot forged silver penannular brooches, etc. I couldn't make it through a winter with no forging!