I Forge Iron

Doghead Dragon...Kinda

As I mentioned before I had taken some time away from the forge. I told myself when I returned I would do more of what I wanted to and less production work. I have made Horse,Rams and Longhorn steer heads but hadn't tried any dragons yet. This one is from "A Blacksmiths Craft - The Legacy of Francis Whitaker". This is the first try, not great but a start. I'm going to have to make some better slitting chisels. I couldn't get the fangs to cut and the ears are to dull. But as I said it's a start and I enjoying time at the forge again.

18262.attach

18263.attach

18264.attach

18265.attach

18266.attach

I like it. I keep shying away from animal heads - except fish, which are super easy. I'm not sure what's keeping me. Mostly production I guess. Maybe after the first of the year I'll try something like that when the pressure is off. Seriously though, I know a lot of people who would be tickled by something like that. Very good start.

First of all Thanks for the feed back.
Junksmith, I have a long list of things I want to try and that list gets longer the more I do. Diving in is the best way to for me to learn new things.
Dragons Lair, I read you post yesterday and have looked at wings since. I will give it a go and post when they're done.
Thomas, That's a great idea I really don't know what I will use this for when I'm done I just started out trying to make a dragon head. I will keep the cubicle hook idea in mind in the future.
Francis, I'd like to see those pictures

John

I have a carving block and did part of the work on it and part in the vice alone. The jaws are not straight and the step between the snout and the eyes is crooked also. Things I will have to watch on the next one. I tend to rush trying to make good use of a heat and I need to work more on making the best of a heat not the most. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks again for the feed back,

John

John, Where is the law written that says a dragon can't occasionally have a bad hair day or two (or is that a bad scales day for dragons?). I like it just the way it is, especially for a first try.

Just keep having fun pal and hope we can play together again some day soon.
BTW: I bet I can find you some 2" 4140 for that chisel you want to make. LOL

Stan