I Forge Iron

Home made power hammer.

I;ve made a power hammer this year ... worked on it for a while it;s made out of an old press with a car diferential and a disk brake 2 control the speed .There is a problem with it :) it;s not working as it shoud .... and now is just a pile of junk sitting in my workshop i will post some pictures with it tomorow or the day after :)
I am shure that there is a desight simple and nice that works ...mine just did not :)

I bought some plans from Appalachain Power Hammers, but haven't dared to build one yet. I am working in a wood frame building and would destroy the place with a power hammer. A friend told me he set one up in his garage and quickly pounded a hole through the 4 inch thick concrete floor. I need to design a good foundation first.

I have a home built appalachian style helve hammer and use it at least weekly, in my busy season I use it daily. It already has hundreds of hours on it. Upto 182 beats per min, 75 pound ram weight, 6 inch stroke, 1 horse drive motor. Parts from three junk/scrap yards plus the springs off my Jeep.

You can see a pic on my forge page or elsewhere on this forum.

Search under "powerhammer junkies".

If ya'll are really interested I might take a few more pic of her and post em.

Assuming that a LG style could cause less damage than a helve hammer if it broke is a guess at best and in my opinion totally incorrect. The bulk of the moving parts of a helve hammer are BEHIND the center column and away from the operator. An LG style has a spring and a number of lever arms right in your face. I have this home made 75# plus a Fairbanks 25# (which LG copied). Both are good machines and equally reliable, but if the Fairbanks breaks a spring or arm, its probably gonna hit me or at least fly past my head while I xxxx myself. With the home built, the parts are gonna just fall away from me.

LGs are not safer. Your mileage may vary

There is a 25# LG in the shop I frequent. There is usually an initial warning that comes the first time someone uses it. The warning is basically "Use at your own risk. That spring might explode one day and it sits about a foot and a half away from your face." I like the looks of the LG style better then the helve, but I agree that the helve style might be safer.

Take a look at two.

As Jock Dempsey has openly objected to images from Anvilfire being used in other places without his specific permission, one on the images that was recognized from Anvilfire has been removed and replaced it with a link to the page where it can be viewed.

The hammer photo posted here and removed is at this link.
Site Admin IForgeIron

one image removed, by Glenn

607.attach

Since most newer digital cameras shoot movies as well, could someone post a 5 second video of the tire hammer in motion? I am definitely considering building one of these. I will keep coming back as questions arise. I'm here a couple times a week while having my morning coffee anyway. Maybe I will start a progressive thread on it so everyone can watch it being built. Naw, that would just show everyone how slow I really am.
Gobbler