I Forge Iron

how high are your work benches?

I am setting up my shop and building a work bench 4'x 6' using 1/2'' plate, the problem i have is that i do a lot of fabrication welding so i like to set up high about 40 inches that way i dont have to bend so much to see the welding. now this seems too high for most blacksmithing operations, so if ya-all dont mind telling me how high your work bench is would be a great help
thanks clinton

I followed the suggestion that I found in a book. The suggestion was to build all your tables so that they are the same height as your power tools so that long work will pass over any other tables and tools without interference. If I remember correctly that height came to about 31 inches. For example, if you put a 40" high table next to a standard band saw, then a long piece of material will not pass over the table and thus could not be cut on the bandsaw.

mine are 32" high, on three sides of the shop. All the same so i can work on long stuff if need be. 1/2 inch plate table will be pretty hefty. Did you score one big piece or are you welding multiple pieces? i wish i had used heavier plate, i went with 1/4 and it warped a bit after using my propane forge on it, like an idiot i didn't put fire bricks under it! I managed to wedge it back to straight, but i think i may need to get a goo thick plate for my actual welding table, a nice flat stable surface makes fabricating sooo much easier.

I used the simpson strong tie plans, they are 36 inches tall.
http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/DIY-PROJCTPAD06.pdf
I used pocket drilled screws instead of connectors and have good solid benches. The connectors triple the price of the project but you could probably park a truck on them safely. If I notice problems I will add the brackets, part of why I used pocket drilled screws.

Phil

ok guys thanx for the input, unicorn your advice sounds good thats what I was thinking that way you avoid interference. ironstien yes I did score on the material over the years I have hauled of every piece of iron that is going to trash tube steel i beam plate pipe you name it i got it. origami i do some of my best work at the bar and some of my heaviest drinking in the shop so 40 inches seems logical
thanks every one for you advice now I got to get to work