I Forge Iron

brand new to blacksmithing

Hi all.
My name is David, and I'm brand new to blacksmithing.

I'm a maillesmith by trade and received my blacksmithing equipment in payment for a couple of historical reenactment pieces.

wdaforge1.jpg

I've played around with it a few times (made a fire poker for my wife and attempted a couple of RR Spike knives...

wdaforge2.jpg

My anvil is nothing special....just a section of I-Beam with what passes as a horn welded to one end.

wda_anvil.jpg

I got an electric squirrel cage blower in the trade as well, but it unfortunately shorted out the first time I plugged it in. :-( So, for now I'm just using an older hair dryer. Works ok, but working on getting a proper blower.

Also got a variety of tongs and a bunch of flat and round bar stock for me to practice with for the time being.

The last few days, my wife has kind of taken a shying to helping me make a proper (if quite small) smithy.

I only have a 10' wide x 5' deep space to work with. This pic shows the approximate placement of what I currently have in this space.

smithy.jpg

I have a tidy little space for everything that I *currently* have. The plans are to put up a section of 6' tall x 5' wide piece of stockade fence at the far end (right end of the pic). This will match the currently existing fence along the back and left side of the area that you can see in the first pic giving me a three-sided structure. We also plan on adding 2 10' 4x4s sunk 2' deep (holes filled with Quik-Crete) giving me 8' 4x4s to the front corners. Also will be adding an angled metal roof (2' rise over 5') angled front to back.

Any ideas for placement or things I might need in the near future to make this a more efficient workspace?

Thanks!

David

Welcome. Think "work triangle" for a workspace/workstation. Forge, tools, anvil, quench bucket, and vice all arranged withing a single triangle, with as few steps as possible.

Also, if you are going to make lots of spike-knives you might want to make a pair of tongs for that purpose. :D

Again, welcome.

Welcome. Think "work triangle" for a workspace/workstation. Forge, tools, anvil, quench bucket, and vice all arranged withing a single triangle, with as few steps as possible.

Also, if you are going to make lots of spike-knives you might want to make a pair of tongs for that purpose. :D

Again, welcome.

David, it's great to have you aboard! I agree with Unicorn about the tongs. When I first started, I used a pair of channel lock pliers to "hold" a yellow hot RR spike. And I use the word "hold" loosely because that's how they held the spike. Soon I learned the fine art of moving my head to one side in an instant before the spike was able to catch me between the eyes. It didn't take long to buy that set of spike tongs that blacksmith's depot offers. :D If you can make your own, that'd be great, only you have to show pics. We love pics.
It looks like you are well on your way.
Ecart.

Thanks for the welcome guys!
The tongs I've been using for RR Spikes are a pair I got with the rest of my stuff. Simple circle ends with a "V" notch cut into each side of the tongs. kinda < > They seem to work ok, but a little loose. Although I don't know if that's because it's the wrong tool for the job or my grip, which I'm still getting the hang of.

I'm quite a bit more used to working cold, which is a bit more forgiving.

16516msbrasscoif.jpg

Not every little slip of the pliers shows up as readily as every mis-strike with the hammer.... :-D

David

Any trees near your work space? If so you may want to screen it in so you don't get leaves building up in your gravel. Very nice not to worry when you drop a piece of hot metal...

You will want/need a postvise You may want to tie it into one of the support posts to have it very stable. If so think about your work triangle!!!

Angling your roof to catch the breeze is handy in the summer but can be a tad brisk in the winter in VT...

i made a pair of bolt tongs for when i do spike knifes all they are is a ring type similar to yours with small angle iron to make the jaws square when closed and the angle iron is like an inch long and 3/8 or so wide on both sides works good to grab right next to the head or hold the blade cross ways when forged out. hope this heps not make it worse.

Any trees near your work space? If so you may want to screen it in so you don't get leaves building up in your gravel. Very nice not to worry when you drop a piece of hot metal...

You will want/need a postvise You may want to tie it into one of the support posts to have it very stable. If so think about your work triangle!!!

Angling your roof to catch the breeze is handy in the summer but can be a tad brisk in the winter in VT...

There are several trees around the workspace, the closest being about 15' away (box alder. drops leaves all over the place. ugh)

What I plan on doing is putting up a piece of 6' tall x 5' wide stockade fence on the right end (in the pic) of the area, to match to existing fence on the back and left side, where the fencing forms an open triangle at the roofline, I might put in some metal window screen fabric just to keep debris as close to a minimum as I can. The remaining 3' of stockade will be cut into two 18" sections and put at the front corners, mostly for asthetics.

For the postvice, I found a good tutorial on how to build one at the abana website. Uses mostly 2" square tubular steel, which a buddy has quite a bit in surplus, so he's going to give me a hand throwing one together (yes, I'll post progress pics :D

As far as it being quite brisk during Vermont Winters, my wife informs me today that I am but a three season smith. :( Only a couple of weeks left before snow flies, so any *major* work to the "smithy" will probably have to wait until Spring. At the same time.....that give me all winter to get everything I want/need gathered up.

David