I Forge Iron

Brand new to the Art

Denny

All,
Brand new to the Art, just got to watch Glenn present tonights blueprints. It was great. I got into metal working just a few weeks ago, I had to manufature a part for my car, so started by makeing a plaster form, melted some aluminum in a bucket forge. now Im hooked, and need to learn a bunch more. Im pretty good with my hands and my wife supports my hobbies......for the most part :). Hope to learn more and have fun with my projects.
Oh, I think the only stupid questions is the one not asked, so if my queries sound strange, please forgive me.

Denny

Welcome aboard, Denny. From another Newbie's viewpoint, you are now a part of the best place to learn. Don't be afraid to ask, there are many here who will help you. Just be suer to use the search feature, as a lot of your questions may have been answered in one way or another here.

Again, Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome to the forum Denny,
Really cool (no pun indended ;)) about your pour!! I've always been interested in casting. I want to do someting with the brass I've been collecting over the years, but I dunno if a plaster mold would hold up in that case. You came to the right place although there aren't too many doing castings. You'll be an asset!! Ask lots of questions and keep us informed on what you learn. I think I can speak for others in that we'd all like to learn more. You can teach as you learn :) Even the oldtimers don't know EVERYTHING. LOL

Hey Denny, Welcome aboard from another newbie to blacksmithing. I feel the same way about questions and its a great attitude towards learning. Ask away, these guys & gals are great here with such a diverse cross section of talented people. I agree with keykeeper there is tons of info in the blueprints it's a realy good resource.
Tim

Welcome Denny, from the far southeast corner of the state. Check out the PBA calender of events under info in the Prairie Blacksmiths section for monthly work nights in Omaha at Hot Shops and the Fall Conference is coming up Sept 30-Aug 1 in Grand Island with the famous Bill Epps as demonstrator.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Jr.

scrapman1077,
thanks for the link, Ive been there a couple of time. In fact I think that is where I got the refractory recipe from. it is a good site.
FrankW,
Hope you had a good holiday, I would love to hear about how a modern blacksmith would use Peat for fuel. :)
Dodge,
I think you and I actually live near each other, would like to see your set up.

all others,
Thank you for the kind welcome, cant wait to learn more

Hi Dodge.
We had a great holiday thanks toured parts of Ireland.
I have tried peat or turf as we know it. Good black or stone turf will provide a dull to bright red heat but it burns very fast under blast.What I use it mostly for is lighting my forge there is a lot of smoke out of it also.The best place for it is in a range or stove.What neck of the woods are you in?