I Forge Iron

differences in abrasive belts

kd5jbk

Ok all here is a question for ya. I just got started making knives and was wondering what the difference in belts are. I was given a well used (abused) 1x30 grinder and was out pricing 80 grit belts. Harbour freight sells a 5 pack for 2.99 but some other belts I see can go for $3 each. Do the more expensive belts last longer? It generally takes 1 belt per knife for the cheapies. for me. (5/32 O1 is my current steel choice)

Yes the more expensive belts last longer. Also, if you talk to any of the "guru's", they're gonna tell you to use belts as if they are free. Ei. in other words new belts (good quality) work so much better, cleaner, faster, etc. that it's not worth the heartache to try to stretch the life of a belt. Myself, I rotate what the belt gets used for with each few uses. Once I've done the main grind on a blade with my coarse belt, it get's relegated to general purpose grinding. I can't always keep to this schedule, but there's is a significant enough difference between low quality and high quality (and expense), and whether a belt it new or used...

When I worked at the Jelly Belly Candy Co. as a mechanic we started using 3M Blue Grit discs, and belts. They were not cheap, but they lasted noticeably longer than the standard brown aluminum oxide belts.

Get some cheapie belts, and use them. Get some better belts, and use them. Get some expensive belts, and use them too. Keep track of what type of grinding that you did with them , and compare how well each does. Compare use vs cost vs performance to determine which is best for you.

• 1 month later...