I Forge Iron

Proper Head/Handle Proportions

Luke March

Hello,
I've recently started blacksmithing, and I have a question about tool making. Specifically, is there a general rule to follow in determining the proper proportion of a handle to the head of a hammer/fuller/punch/etc?
Right now I'm making a normal cross-peen hammer out of 1 1/4" square stock (I don't know quite how heavy it will be; it's still attached to the bar so I can forge without tongs.) I got a large number of hammer handles pretty cheaply in a number of different sizes, plus a handle I got from Lowe's before I realized what an exorbitant rate they charge for them. I have handles in these lengths:
15 7/8" (That's the one from Lowe's listed as a blacksmith hammer handle)
14"
13 1/8"
12 1/4"
11 7/8"

So is there a general rule for weight/ handle length ratio? I've searched all over and haven't found much. I'd love to hear your opinion.
Thanks,

Luke

Yes there is a specific rule on weight/length: it's---What works best for *you*!

I have hammers with a wide range of handle lengths and the only thing I can think of is that as they get heavier the handles get shorter---until they suddenly jump to half length and then full length sledge hammer handles.

When you find an optimal length for a handle on your "favorites" Mark it down so you can replace it with a similar one when necessary!

If you read the old books there is a recommendation for holding the head and laying it upon that forearm. Handle length is somewhere between the inside and outside of your elbow. Heavier hammers have shorter handles.

Hofi uses a 12 inch blank on his handles, so the handle is about 10 inches.
I Forge Iron - BP1012 Making Hammer Handles

I use a spoke shave on commercial hammer handles to make them more comfortable to me. I like slab side handles, about 10-12 inches long. You may have a different preference. Your fingertips should just barely touch your palm when you squeeze.

Do not be afraid of adjusting handles to fit.

Striking hammers are a separate discussion, and I think there is a thread on it already.

Phil