I Forge Iron

I've just bought a Flamefast ceramic forge off e-bay. I only paid a tenner for it, so if it doesn't work out for me, it's no big deal.
On flamefast's site, it sauys that the forge "can" reach a temp of 1,300c ;). Has anyone had any experience with one of these ? And if so, what did you think ?
If the forge turns out to be a dud, I was thinking that I could just convert it to a coke forge, as it has an integrated blower, but once again, I'd like a bit of advice as to whether the forge is built to take the higher temps that a coke forge can belt out.

Cheers

Pete.

hi pete - i had a ceramic chip forge once and couldnt get it very hot at all - cant remember wether it was a flamefast for sure but i think it was. i may WELL have been doing something wrong, but i thought mine was rubbish..! hope you have better luck - like mr87 above said - let us know what happens. there is one in my sons school - you would have thought they wouldnt bother if they were useless...

Hi Pete, the ceramic chip forge should be OK to use although they are quite slow to get up to heat, and you may well find they are nowhere as near as effective as a normal insulated gas forge or coal/coke forge.

It may need cleaning and the ceramic chips replacing, have a play before you start to dismantle it or adapt it

If go to Gas Forges: Metal & Heat Treatment Equipment: Flamefast you should be able to get details and a contact for information.

They are used in schools and other establishments, but all the serious blacksmiths I have known and who have used them are no longer using them.

As you are in Manchester, you should be able to pop along and see them at their HQ

Edited by John B

dave thats a good point - it would be great for sheet or awkward shapes that cant fit in the gas forge... dont want to diss them too much - i just would have struggled a bit with just the ceramic chip forge . its like most things - one of anything never really quite does it..! :)

Thanks for the replies.

Should have thought to search the forums before asking a question, but I was feeling giddy about getting my first forge.

I like the idea of converting to propane. It would mean that I can put the forge further away from the house (and the pair of hyper-active ankle snapping children). Whacking lumps of metal on an anvil will be so quiet & restful compared to keeping my little miniatures amused.