I Forge Iron

What type of hammer is this?

On the subject of using a hammer as a fuller, I can be done by annealing the hammer head end. In reviewing some of the old literature, I agree with Bentiron1946 that it appears to be a coppersmith tool based on the style of the hammer forging near the head. Also, There is insufficent material around the eye and the peen length is a too long for heavy steel forging work.

Pinetar, You got aways to go on that hammer face before you put it to precious metal, lots of marks left to be removed. They will transfer to you jewelry so when you get them all gone move on the the next finest paper and work it until those scratches are gone. I usually stop at 600 paper and then it's on to the polishing wheel. When you see you face clear and bright that's enough.

True bentiron, as I have experienced the results of other hammers. The store did have one of 3 that was polished better than what I did. I do have 3 Japanese wet stones that should give me good results.

I bought it because it looked unique without the intension of using it for a specific purpose. Now that I see the Hanfi hammers, I am tempted to get a few.

Actually that looks like one opf the old Lynch Collection hammers and the pitting is most likely from being dug out of a bombed flat factory and 60+ years being stored in a barrel. Check the hardness! I've had one lynch collection hammer that had been through a fire and was dead soft---very handy actually with students abusing the equipment...

They have any more like it?

I couldn't resist, they had 1 more diamond in the rough and 1 semi polished on both ends only. I took the rough cut. MobileMe Gallery Hit the bottom slideshow button for a full view. It is stamped 32. The weight is .903 oz.

He also had new Pexto tinner hammers and new blacksmithing tongs. I was showing interest in a Johnson Gas oven, #121, 1 used, 1 new. Are Pexto hammers still made? It surely felt good in the hand.

gary

Edited by pinetar