I Forge Iron

2 Tinners anvils and other tinner tools

Hello
I am new here and seem to be interested in blacksmithing. I have no tools at the moment but pounding out some copper has started me to look around.

These pics are from a private farm museum in a tinners shed.

MobileMe Gallery

I would like to find an anvil. I do have some miniature RR track about 2" high that i might prepare for that purpose.

Gary/ N. Ohio

The hand cranked tools in the pictures are for forming beads, and wire edges on sheetmetal parts. I have the same tools myself.

You need to figure out what type of smithing you want to do, then get the proper sized , and type of equipment. You wouldn't want to get a 300# anvil to do small work, nor try doing large work on a 50# anvil.

Welcome to the board.

Gary- the hand cranked tools come in handy for copper work- if your using sheet. I've got 14 different ones in my shop now, but only really use about 2-3 of them regularly. the stakes are good for small work. My anvil is only 90 lbs, not big enough for everything, but I only paid 50 bucks for it! Remember, almost anything you find could become trade stock down the road, and if you can use it for a project or two, even better. I hate getting rid of any tool, because you just never know. Good luck!