I Forge Iron

Welder cover

48willys

I was going to make a cover to keep the dust and dirt out of my welder when I'm not using it,so I bought some heavy canvas (canvas because I wanted something that would let some air through and moisture out).Then I got to thinking that canvas isn't very flame retardant, like grinder sparks could set it on fire. Would it be ok to use the Borax trick with this or would something in the Borax corrode things in the welder?

An old wool army blanket. Wool, while not fireproof, is fire resistant when in a tight, thick weave. I haven't been to an army surplus in a while so I don't know the cost. Heavy duck canvas is surprisingly fire resistant too, but will char then ignite after a bit. If oil or grease is on your canvas or wool, you are in real trouble.

You can do a 2 layer job and have the borax wash on the top layer.

Phil

I just thought of someing cheep and safe.I can use vinyl and sew in some flaps at the top for vents.From useing it in the past, most of that stuff won't burn without a open flame and will only get holes burn't through.The reason I worry about breathing is the shop gets alot of misture on the floor at times and I would rather not have that getting trapped under the cover.

I have an old tarp in the garage that I have been trying to decide what to do with it, as it has gotten pretty nasty over the years. It is too big to clean and too moldy and covered with mouse poop and stuff to use around my allergies. I have needed covers for welders and equipment for years. This thread has given be an idea, and that is cut the tarp into smaller sections better suited as covers, and throw one into the washing machine (maybe one at the laundromat) and see if it is clean enough to use as machine covers. :D

I have a Miller Bobcat 225. Pretty much hyperventilated when I priced the custom cover for this machine. My uncle suggested that I get a barbeque pit cover. For a little over $20.00 it fits fairly well and works great. Almost three years now, same cover.
Jerry

Unicornforge,
to clean the tarp mix up a bucket of laundry soap and use a push broom. Rinse well after. Be sure to wash both sides. I have washed sails this way, and it works. Not gonna call it an easy job, but might be better than cutting then laundering for allergies.

Phil