I Forge Iron

Post Vise

whit_375

Hi all, I'm new here. First post in fact. I am in Iraq, but the world's most awesome wife (mine, thank you) picked up this post vise for me.

I was wondering if any of you experts can ID it just from a picture? I'm not familiar with the manufacturers and don't know if they are easy to ID. She says the only marking she can find is a number 4.

Thanks,

Ryan

18151.attach

Chamfered legs so it's not a Columbian.

Actually hundreds of small shops built post vises and few of them marked them. Nobody pays much attention to that, more important is what condition the screw is in.

I have an iron city star marked post vise and several columbians that are not marked on the vise but have the brand on the mounting plate (and are not "married" to another brand of vise).

• 1 year later...

Judging by the overall shape, the "withered" ears, and the looks of the screw box, it is either a Columbian or an Indian Chief. The Indian Chiefs were prominently marked on the mount. If not so marked, I would say it's a Columbian.
As a guess, the Chiefs look so much like the Columbians, that I think they were made by the Columbian firm.

Looks good from here. As long as the screw and jaws are good I wouldn't care who built it. I have two, no markings on one of them and the other is stamped 80 on one jaw, that's all; work fine.

Tomorrow is Veterans day, a visit to the cemetery and a free meal at Applebees.