I Forge Iron

Tribal knife

Raggedstaff

This was recently finished by a friend of mine. He has a fantastic eye for knives and never ceases to amaze me. I sent him a blade I forged and this is what he came up with.

He has taken an average looking blade and turned it into a simply stunning knife.

1055 forged, triple normalised, clay coated and quenched in cold water. Tempered twice at 185C

tribal.jpg

tribal2.jpg

tribal3.jpg

Those are his hands, not mine :D

Mic (the maker) is a regular poster on british blades forum. He has a knack of just knowing what handle a blade needs. He is making 'rustic' knives at the moment, using very natural materials, (bamboo, jute etc)

His 'scandi' knives (which he is best known for) are works of art (highly finished). Very talented maker!

Mic (the maker) is a regular poster on british blades forum. He has a knack of just knowing what handle a blade needs. He is making 'rustic' knives at the moment, using very natural materials, (bamboo, jute etc)

His 'scandi' knives (which he is best known for) are works of art (highly finished). Very talented maker!

He's a genius. It is always wonderful to see one of my blades given the Pennillion treatment.

Mik often has blades from me aswell. He does very tribal work with a rustic blade (I mostly do forged to finished blades), something that I couldn't bring myself to do * but he makes them work :) I don't think I've seen any of his knives that i don't like.

He also pimps old folding knives now. So a boring little penknife will end up with some filework and mammoth ivory scales for example

I like selling blades to others to handle. It's always interesteing and fun to see what turns out at the end!

* by this I mean that I avoid making my knives look 'tribal', 'neo-tribal' or anything else that is stylistcally of another part of the world (a lot of peope recreate native american stuff for example), or psuedo-old-worldy. I make my knives as I see them and if I recreate something from the past then it is normally set in European Archaeology.

Edited by Dave Budd